Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Inside door rattle

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2002, 08:42 PM
Chris Lovell
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Inside door rattle

I have an annoying and persistent metallic rattle in both doors which seems to be related to the window hardware. When the windows are fully up and car in motion, the rattle is bad. When down part way, not there. All the way down, back again. I am about to disassemble the door panel and expect to find the rattle coming from one of the metal clips or sleeves or scissor mechanisms in the window lifter. Question: Does anyone have any idea what parts this might involve and are there some parts I should have in hand to fix the rattle?
Details:
'86 Carrera Coupe, 130k miles
Power Windows (very slow when cold ... Passenger side really slow with stops on occasion)
Thanks.
Old 01-05-2002, 12:27 AM
doofdog
AutoX

I have an 86 also but mine rattles when open. Please keep me informed on your findings. Thanks, Geof
Old 01-05-2002, 12:31 AM
Dean
Instructor

On my SC the rattle is caused by the window regulator. The part cost $200 each I think, so I run with my window down a mm for now.
Dean
Old 01-06-2002, 09:58 AM
Sean Hamilton
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same Chris, in both doors of my 80 Targa. Window down 5 mm and it's gone. I took the left door apart and spent 3 hours fiddling and adjusting with the glass guides, regulator etc. It's now gone but it was a bugger of a job and I haven't been motivated to through that whole exercise again for the right door.
Old 01-07-2002, 06:47 PM
Chris Martin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I talked to my local wrench about this and he suggested the window felts might be bad. My windows are quiet when up all the way and down all the way but rattle anywhere in between. He recommended installing new gaskets and felts, then a door check while everything was apart.

Best of Luck

Chris
81 SC
Old 01-08-2002, 12:35 AM
Chris Lovell
Intermediate

My rattle (both doors) is a light metallic jingle. The sound comes from the top rear edge of the doors when the windows are all the way up. Basically, just rear of the exterior door handle. Like Sean, I am not anxious to tear down the door and wrestle with the mechanicals. On the other hand, the rattle gets to me pretty quickly. So, taking Chris M's advice, when I get the door apart, replacing the felts, gaskets and squeegies seems like a plan.
If anyone else has any other ideas, I'm all ears.
Old 01-08-2002, 05:26 PM
Jdub
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Typically the felt pads do go bad. As an example, there is a felt pad for the cable that runs from the door latch to the door, the cable hooks under the lip formed by the large oval in the door panel (you'll see this straightaway when you pull the panel).

Be prepared to tighten up the "captive" nuts that come loose from the door latch mechanism. These nuts are the other end of the cross-head screws you see on the latch side of the door when opened. They need to be tightened with blue Loctite.

Also, note that the rod for the locks often loses its rubber vibration donut...have one ready.

Remove all grease on the regulator and regrease for your power window mech. Install the door hinge reinforcement kit unless your year is already fixed (I dunno; have an SC). Reach WAY in and grease the door hinge stop metal (move the door and feel the piece: it needs grease).

Good luck!

Jdub
Old 01-08-2002, 11:27 PM
Chris Lovell
Intermediate

Jdub,
Now that sounds like advice from the experienced! I will have some felts and rubber donut seperators ready when I tackle this project. Thanks for the excellent instructions.

Quick Reply: Inside door rattle