stalling after initial start, then starts again and runs fine

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 10:09 AM
nicklouse10
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stalling after initial start, then starts again and runs fine

Hi,

My car (1980 SC 3.0l) has been doing this for a while now.
On the first start from cold, the car starts fine, then immediately the revs drop, the idle becomes lumpy and then the car stalls. I restart the car and it runs fine.
I'm not touching the throttle when this happens.

If I add a touch of throttle straight after the initial start, (to try to keep it running) the stall just happens slightly quicker. I don't want to try giving it more than a little throttle here as even if this prevented it from stalling, I'd rather not rev the engine from cold.

After it has stalled like this, it always starts up fine straight afterwards.

any ideas?
Nick
Old 01-28-2008, 02:53 PM
bargamon
Advanced

Fuel regulater.

Mine does the same thing.

In fact, now I start it, then shut it off and restart. Why? Its gonna do it anyway. Second try seems to have the right pressure. Once warm, it fires right up.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:22 PM
BRB-83-911SC
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 43 Posts

Mine does it as well (cold start only), but runs like a top otherwise, so I am living with it for now. There is some interesting reading here:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...ght=cold+start
Old 01-29-2008, 05:14 AM
nicklouse10
Instructor

thanks for the info.
I think I'll carry on just living with it for now. Just glad its not a serious problem.
cheers
Nick
Old 01-29-2008, 10:30 AM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine does same thing after sitting a week when it's cold out. Did the same even after new fuel regulator an WUR so I won't waste $ on those again unless I have warm start problems.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:14 AM
nicklouse10
Instructor

Hello,

bit of an update on this...
been living with this for a while now, but recently it seemed to be getting worse, and the car also developed a lumpy idle and a bit of a cough when cruising
I found that the large intake hose had a BIG split in it and also that the warm up regulator was working, but not in the correct ranges.
yesterday I took the car out with now pipe and WUR and what a difference!! I couldn't believe it!
it's like driving a new car, I guess I'd been subtlety adjusting my driving to compensate for the rough running, but I didn't realise how much.

I still need to let it idle for about 15 seconds after a cold start, but I think thats probably my injectors not atomising the fuel as well as they should. It no longer stalls and the idle settles straight away.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:25 AM
911SC SKI
Advanced

Nick, were you doing the work yourself or have you found someone in Dundee that knows what they're doing?
Old 07-07-2008, 04:36 AM
nicklouse10
Instructor

I couldn't find anyone in Dundee that I felt comfortable with to fit the WUR, so I took it to Dastek in Dalgety Bay near Edinburgh.
I wish I could find someone closer who I trusted.... One of the locals I called told me that the symptoms I was describing were due to the cold start valve that, wait for it... is located in one of the radiator hoses.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:27 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nicklouse10
I couldn't find anyone in Dundee that I felt comfortable with to fit the WUR, so I took it to Dastek in Dalgety Bay near Edinburgh.
I wish I could find someone closer who I trusted.... One of the locals I called told me that the symptoms I was describing were due to the cold start valve that, wait for it... is located in one of the radiator hoses.
RADIATOR HOSE? WTF?

....I'd keep heading to the "Bay" for P-work....

Best,

Doyle
Old 07-07-2008, 07:35 AM
911SC SKI
Advanced

Absolutely sensational Nick!

I guess that's why I asked, I've been having similar issues. A local from Dundee did suggest to try one of the shops close to the Knock Hill Racing Circuit, but I havent' made it up that way.

Mine is in the shop now. Had the window runners replaced and new window motors. New tyres and an MOT. If the Auto Heat Switch and the Wevo Shifter arrive in time he's going to fit them too. I'm due back on the 19th to pick it up.

I've had issues with the vehicle surging at low rpm, in all gears. Like it wants to start bunny hopping, but way too soon and while you're still moving. You've got to give it some revs and ride the clutch so that things don't get embarrasing. The mechanic suggested that it might be the C02/Mixture but that he couldn't get to it on the system.............so I bought him the deep reach alan key........I'm hoping that that is the issue as I've replaced the WUR previously (it does it hot and cold, but worse when cold).

I'll keep you posted. Fingers Crossed.

Sorry for the Hijack!
Old 07-07-2008, 07:44 AM
nicklouse10
Instructor

I was at knockhill on Friday night. Dastek is very close, about 15 minutes down the road. I collected the car and headed straight for the track, there was supposed to be a 'pre 83' cars only' track night from 6pm - 8pm and I wanted to test out the new, sweetly running car, but I arrived to find it had been canceled due to lack of interest.

who is your car with at the moment?
I woke up to a flat battery this morning DOH it's never ending
Old 07-07-2008, 08:03 AM
911SC SKI
Advanced

A little shop in Kirrie

He's been pretty good so far but takes the **** a bit now as he knows I work away. When it goes to him he's normally got it for 3mths, whether I'm away or not!

I'll pm you when I get back, we could meet up for BS session and a pint or two.

Quick Reply: stalling after initial start, then starts again and runs fine