Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Converting Slantnose back...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 02:46 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Converting Slantnose back...

Some of you have seen pictures of my car that I bought from Strupgolf in Indiana. It's a really nice looking car, but I have had countless issues with the headlight system, and I'm strongly considering making the front like a normal Carrera again.

The question I have, is with the widebody kit on the back and the rocker panels, will the regular Carrera fenders fit right, or do I need front fenders from a 930? I'm not familiar enough with the bodies of these cars to know what all changed with the addition of the widebody/slantnose kit.

Secondly, anyone have front fenders for sale complete with lighting?

Thanks in advance for the info!

Regards,
Russell
Old 01-25-2008, 03:38 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 193 Posts

Russell, for the car to look right you will need 930 fenders for the front. I don't know if you will need to change the rocker though, you may be able to leave them as well as the "vents" in the rear fenders. I'm not sure on that though, because the regular 930 fenders could be different in the dog leg at the bottom.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:50 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by smokintr6
Russell, for the car to look right you will need 930 fenders for the front. I don't know if you will need to change the rocker though, you may be able to leave them as well as the "vents" in the rear fenders. I'm not sure on that though, because the regular 930 fenders could be different in the dog leg at the bottom.
Thanks Ryan,

To be honest, the rockers may go, I'm not really that fond of them. I like the look of the widebody better without them, and they really kind of get in the way and make getting in and out of the car more trouble than it should be.

I've been looking at pictures, and it seemed to me that the 930 fenders were differnt/wider, but it's really difficult to tell from pictures, which is why I decided to just ask, I knew someone would know the answer.

This isn't something that's on the front burner by any means, I've got too much going on right now, but I think I'll go ahead and start looking for the fenders and just pick them up along the way and in the summer when I have more time do the replacement.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Russell
Old 01-25-2008, 05:31 PM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Hello.
Your car looks like it has the "turbo-body", so yes you would need the wider 930/turbo front fenders.
The regular turbo rockers will work and do look nice, however the rear fenders will take a beating.
FWIW, there are many aftermarket headlight sytems out there.
The easiest & most reliable are the ones with the round headlights and Mazda RX7 motors.
Hope that helps.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:32 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rberry951
Thanks Ryan,

To be honest, the rockers may go, I'm not really that fond of them. I like the look of the widebody better without them, and they really kind of get in the way and make getting in and out of the car more trouble than it should be.

I've been looking at pictures, and it seemed to me that the 930 fenders were differnt/wider, but it's really difficult to tell from pictures, which is why I decided to just ask, I knew someone would know the answer.

This isn't something that's on the front burner by any means, I've got too much going on right now, but I think I'll go ahead and start looking for the fenders and just pick them up along the way and in the summer when I have more time do the replacement.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Russell

My car is a conversion from 911 to a 930 look. My avatar should be kind of what you are looking to achieve.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:36 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Russell, the guy that made 90% of the slantnose kits is a friend of mine. He is now, and most likely forever, going to spend the rest of his life restoring the cars back to original. If you are interested in the "How To" from the guy that knows..
Old 01-25-2008, 06:46 PM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Slantnose

Hi, I remember when Strupgolf bought the car. It seems that the headlight problems he had at that time, never really was addressed. Good luck with the car!! Tony.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:56 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

I really do like the slantnose look. Strupgolf had told me they were Mazda RX-7 mechanisms. I suppose the easiest/cheapest thing would be to just order new mechanisms, or find good used ones. These have been broken and fixed so many times they are hardly functional, it's a bit distressing that I can't drive at night, I really like going on night rides...

Douglas, do you think your friend could point me in the right direction to obtain the right headlight mechanisms?

3.2Slantnose, I really like those BBS wheels, they really set your car off.

justinsrx7, Black is just badass, I've considered having mine painted black.

Regards,
Russell
Old 01-25-2008, 07:01 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'll go talk to him. He has a very well hidden shop not far from ny office. I am sure he has the fix just lying around.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:07 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by douglas bray
I'll go talk to him. He has a very well hidden shop not far from ny office. I am sure he has the fix just lying around.
That would be great, thanks!

Regards,
Russell
Old 01-25-2008, 07:15 PM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

Hi Russell, he was having those problems since he had the car. I believe I talked to him about them on the phone or maybe it was just several PM's. I have heard from a lot of people that have had nagging headlight problems. Good luck!! Thanks, about my car! Tony.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:31 PM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

Russell, I sent you a PM. Tony.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:27 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by 3.2SLANTNOSE
Russell, I sent you a PM. Tony.
Thanks much Tony, I enjoyed speaking with you on the phone and appreciate all your input on the headlight situation. I believe I will follow your advice and locate some parts to fix what I have for now. I just want to be able to drive at night!

Good luck on all your projects, I'll be in touch soon when I start ripping wires out...

Regards,
Russell

Quick Reply: Converting Slantnose back...