Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Almost hesitant

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 09:27 AM
cal44
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost hesitant

I am almost hesitant to ask this question but I have looked in the search and not been able to find my answer, although I am sure it is in here somewhere.
Can someone point me in the right direction on headlights for the 911? I like the looks of the......oh' here we go. Is it the H4, H5?, anyway the headlights that protrude out from the housing. This is for the years '84 thru '89.
Secondly I understand they cost alot of money, I don't get that. Is there a lens setup that protrudes from the housing yet the standard headlight is used. I hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance
Old 01-23-2008, 11:11 AM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cal44, there is no lens that will fit over the "sugar scoops " like on your car. The easiest conversion would be to put Hella H4 inserts into the same opening you have. It allows you to put different bulb intensities in the car. The best upgrade in my opinion is to put the European H4's on the car. But, as you stated they are a little expensive. I've owned many Porsches over the past 40 years and I have put either the Euro H4's or euro H1's on my cars. If you want really expensive, H1's run approximately a $1000 bucks a pair. If you want the pertruding lens on the car, Euro H4's are the way to go. You also have the capability to put different wattage bulbs in them. However, if you go to a bulb higher than 55/60W, you will need a relay kit to handle the extra load. Hope this helps.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:18 AM
cal44
Burning Brakes

Default Perfect

Good response, it clarifies my confusion. H4 it is. Mike.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:52 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Cal44, did you go on the Julian run a couple weeks ago?

The rings that go with the H4's you could take to a paint shop and get color matched or you could get them and leave them in black. Ask around at the different dismantlers for a matching set of lights. They may even have rings in your color. (long shot....)
Old 01-23-2008, 01:05 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cal, you didn't say what specific year your car is. I will assume it is 1986 or older since they use the "sugar scoops" and have the H4 three spade plug. If you had an 87-89 Carrera, you would already have the H5's on it. The H4's will plug right in to your harmess without having to modify the harness or use an adapter. The H4's work much better than the H5's that came on my car. I put a new harness on my 88 Carrera since it was configured with H5's from the factory.

As stated previously, the rings on the H4's come in chrome or black. You can leave them black or paint to match the car. I sanded the black and painted mine white to match the car.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:03 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

I actually fried the H-5''s that came with my car - and ended up going with the H-4's as a replacement with the paintable trim ring.

I would also recommend - that you buy a marcus suco relay kit - and even if you maintain the stock wattage - install it.

The way porsche wired the headlights was not their brightest hour (get it?)

The realy kit takes some of wattage off the bright/turn indicator switch - which helps prolong it's existance. I can tell you first hand that it's kind of a pain to replace.

The H-4's - with their metal plug and real glass are a definite step up, even compared to the H-5's. Adding higher wattage bulbs is just icing on the cake.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:16 PM
cal44
Burning Brakes

So if I understand this correctly I would be changing the rings as well?..........I will need to think about this one. In this case it is an '84 (as pictured). Why must things be so difficult? It needs shocks all the way around and I just paid for a crown at the dentist yesterday........crap. Well at least I now know what headlight to use if I go away from stock. Mr. Bray, I didn't go on the Julian run as the other half was with her horse and the girls so that left me with dog duty.....and dog doodie. Thanks boys.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:16 PM
911S3.6
Pro

To reiterate what spider 911 said, if you want the H4 to work with the sugar scoop trim rings you have, you go from the sealed beams POS you have to Hella H4- the look of the car will stay just as it is now, with the H4 lens receded into the sugar scoop but with better light output.
If you want the protruding glass look, you need to by the H4 kit-which is a complete unit, trim ring and all, that bolts in place of your old sugar scoop/sealed beam set up. These H4's will cost you around $219.00/side. Note: the original euro headlights were H1's, but these are rare and expensive, and no need to go that route unless you are building a numbers matching concour car.
The H5, was a crappy rendition of the H4.
Also, as stated by spider 911 and G50 cab, if you go to higher output/wattage on bulbs you need a relay kit. go to www.danielstern.com for guidance. (or google daniel stern lighting)
Lastly, if you decide you just want to go with Hella H4 lenses for your sugar scoops, I have some I will let you have, you pay shipping. Bulbs not included.
Hope this helps- ask me how i know,
Nick
Old 01-24-2008, 12:54 AM
Dentron
Instructor

I have to also replace one of my H5s because of a crack in the lens. I believe it was mentioned that the H4s are better than the H5s. I never really understood why. People have commented to me since I am replacing the lens I should go with the H4s.

Could someone tell me why.

My car is an 87 Carerra Turbo Look.

Thanks.

C.L.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:20 AM
rgrimm
Instructor

The Euro H4s have a better beam-pattern than the H5s. Sharper cutoff, better focused.

I have 7" H4 replacements in the sugar scoops on my '68 (they sell them as DOT-legal or Euro, the difference being the DOT-legal have the "aiming nipples"), and replaced the sugar scoops with Euro H4s on my '84.

The 7" replacements on the '68 are surprisingly good (and I wanted to keep the sugar scoops on the '68...I like the look on the older cars). The Euro H4s have either black or chrome rings. You can purchase a separate, paintable ring that goes over either and serves to clean things up a bit and hide the aiming screws.

Check around. You can find them on eBay or elsewhere for closer to $300...or at least you could...
Attached Images   
Old 01-24-2008, 01:44 AM
Dentron
Instructor

rgrimm... Thanks for the info... Your car looks great by the way. I like that year...

Originally Posted by rgrimm
The Euro H4s have a better beam-pattern than the H5s. Sharper cutoff, better focused.

I have 7" H4 replacements in the sugar scoops on my '68 (they sell them as DOT-legal or Euro, the difference being the DOT-legal have the "aiming nipples"), and replaced the sugar scoops with Euro H4s on my '84.

The 7" replacements on the '68 are surprisingly good (and I wanted to keep the sugar scoops on the '68...I like the look on the older cars). The Euro H4s have either black or chrome rings. You can purchase a separate, paintable ring that goes over either and serves to clean things up a bit and hide the aiming screws.

Check around. You can find them on eBay or elsewhere for closer to $300...or at least you could...
Old 01-24-2008, 07:47 AM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

euro h4s use to be cheap at ajusa, I guess they aren't a sponsor anymore?
for sure don't get them at pelican, 250 each , lol. Who are they kidding.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:58 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

and if you get the paintable rings - get a can of spray paint (your matching car color) from www.paintscratch.com - easy to do - then clearcoat - looks like factory.

The H-4's like mentioned above - are glass and have superior optics. The also have a metal retainer for the bulb which I prefer.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:21 PM
elpresidente
Racer

I'm a little confused now. I'm assuming "sugar scoops" refers to the headlight rims like on my car? (see avatar). If I choose to go H4's, then the rims would be the thinner rims in either chrome or black correct, due to the beam angle? I have been considering switching to black headlight rims. Can I find black sugar scoop rims pretty easily if I don't switch to H4's right now?
Old 01-24-2008, 01:57 PM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

+ for paintscratch

Quick Reply: Almost hesitant