Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Need Help... "Rally" mods for '84 911?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2003, 03:00 AM
Paul491 Cadrobbi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need Help... "Rally" mods for '84 911?

I am hoping to find a possible solution to my on-going dilemma...

First and foremost, I am a happy owner of a 1984 Factory M-491 Turbo-Look Carrera coupe, which is also my daily driver. I live in Arizona but unfortunately, on a DIRT road that stretches more than a ½ mile between my house and the nearest pavement! Needless to say with more than a mile of "rally" driving on a daily basis, I am concerned about the possible long-term affects of dust ingestion and suspension pounding from the constantly changing “washboard” surfaces. I’m sure these are typical problems addressed and successfully solved by Off-road Rally Racers, eh? Any suggestions?

Over the past five years, I’ve had premature mechanical failures. One of which was the clutch T/O bearing at less than 21,000 mi. due to dust intrusion. It's starting to make noise again at a little over 14,000 mi. My front right strut and both front inserts were also replaced and now, after about 30,000 miles, are again rattling and knocking as well. Is this normal? I am hoping to up-grade these areas plus others that may be eventually affected…

Does anyone produce reinforced "streetable" parts to beef up the front and rear suspension components on a 930 chassis or any mods to slow or stop dust intrusion into the clutch and engine areas? If anyone has any ideas, thoughts or suggestions (short of selling my favorite car or moving... LOL), I NEED to be hearin’ from ya!

Thanks!

“Rattled”
Old 02-27-2003, 08:20 PM
Paul491 Cadrobbi
Instructor

Someone mentioned there’s a fellow in the Northeast who campaigns an '86 Carrera in Rally events. Does anyone know who he is and how I can contact him?

Also, it has been mentioned on a different board that <a href="http://www.prodrive.com" target="_blank">www.prodrive.com</a> handled the mods on 911 SCRS's in the mid-eighties. Does anyone have happen to have an e-mail for these guys?

Thanks,
"dusty" (aka "rattled"...lol)
Old 02-28-2003, 01:57 AM
Stuttgart
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Well since no one has given you any ideas, for the throwout bearing my best guess would be to cover the openings in the bell housing with aluminum tape

As for the suspension, can't do much better than rubber bushings for fighting the dust.
Old 03-01-2003, 05:32 PM
Paul491 Cadrobbi
Instructor

Hey, thanks for the response. Do the openings in the bell housing aid in cooling? The reason I am wondering, is because it gets really HOT and dusty around here in the summer... If they won't hurt cooing by sealing them, I’ll definitely be taping 'em up! Let me know.

If anyone else out here has any more ideas or possible solutions, please don’t hesitate to share!

Thanks,
Old 03-01-2003, 09:50 PM
Stuttgart
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Yeah I didn't really think about the fact that you're in Arizona. I would try it and see how it does, i think the worst thing that could happen would be a little clutch slippage, but you could always just take off the tape.

Also if you do tape it up, I would suggest that you blow out the bell housing with compressed air every once and a while to get rid of the dust floating around(wear a mask too)

i'm sure others might have some good ideas.

Quick Reply: Need Help... "Rally" mods for '84 911?