Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

recover seats or buy replacements? 996 seats into an SC?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 11:15 AM
nicklouse10
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recover seats or buy replacements? 996 seats into an SC?

HI,

dropped off my front seats at the upholsterer this morning for a quote to recover the seat base and back squabs. The quote is £400 (plus fabric which will probably be another £60) which seems quite expensive for just the base and back-rest, rather than the whole seat side and base bolsters included.

My seats have black vynal bolsters and fabric squabs. I was going to have the squabs recovered in Black Alcantara

I've found a pair of mint 996 seats with black leather bolsters and Alcantara squabs, full electric etc for £400 + delivery. I'm sorely tempted to buy these 996 seats. I'm not overly concerned with originality as they are still Porsche, but I'm worried they will be less comfy. My old ones were extremely comfortable.

Also I guess I could sell my originals to recoup some of the cost making this option cheaper still.

what would you do?

Anyone know whether the width / height of the 996 seats will be a problem in an SC Coupe? I dont mind having to mess about and modify mounting rails so long as the dimensions all fit.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:14 PM
BlackPearl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There may in fact be an issue with the width of the newer seat rails and the width of the "wings" that the rails mount to in the tub. If you can, measure the width from bolt to bolt (either along the front or along the back of the seat) of the rail-to-car bolts for both old and new seats and see if they match before commiting to 996 seats. If the bolt widths aren't equal, you may need to research possible adaptation of the seat rails. ( I seem to recall the 996 seat mounting bolts are closer together than the older SC/Carerra seat bolts, but I could be wrong. Don't the 996 rails mount to a raised bar with tapped holes that runs along the bottom of the pan vs wings?)

As far as confort goes, I really can't judge that too well. All the Porsche factory seats feel about the same to me starting in 1978 and going to the 996's. I use after-market Recaro Speed cloth seats and prefere them for my driving interests (track and street).

Good luck!
Old 01-24-2008, 01:23 AM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is a guy on pelican SUS911 who has 996 GT3 seats in his car. he's a great guy...PM him and hell help you out.

some pics here

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...ferrerid=42314

for the money the newer seats would be a good option and would fit in with the modernised look of your car
Old 01-30-2008, 10:53 PM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nicklouse10

what would you do?
what did you do laddie?

Quick Reply: recover seats or buy replacements? 996 seats into an SC?