Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

CD player recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 03:54 PM
ron_dargenio
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts
Default CD player recommendations

Hello all, my SC will be arriving here in a couple weeks...I am wondering which CD/radio unit to install in the dash. I am not going to change speakers, or add amps etc. I just want a nice-looking and -playing unit that fits well. Any recommendations?
Old 01-20-2008, 04:47 PM
bargamon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed an Alpine unit last year for my son's Subaru and its a great unit. I forget the number, but its got the upgraded display an came with the ipod cable. That combo is great.

Good enough power and a nice understated face. I have a 4 year old cheesy kenwood in mine with a changer under the seat. The kenwood has those dancing lights and a light metal look. The Alpine black chrome look would blend in good.

You could always find a older becker or blaupunct unit but the thing is the modern electronics are really top notch. My sons unit was $350.

Im thinking of doing that and replaceing the changer with a very low profile subwoofer all in one unit. They are not great but they bring some needed bottom end. The speakers in my targa are really quite good but they are infinty Kappas which are way to bright for my taste. Under the drivers seat is a 600 watt plate so its powered nice but just not sounding as good as the equipment should. These cars are acustic nightmares. I have too much speaker but my back deck has 6x9's in them and I would need a new rear deck to make it look good, or recover. A smaller speaker would have worked better. Those 6x9's can't breath enough to make enough bottom end and very fine, but way to much triaxel kappas are too bright.

Bottom line for me is to change out the head unit to get ipod capcity and debling the dash. since I don't need the changer, swap it for an inexensive woofer unit.

My BMW 5 with prologic has spoiled me bad for the automobile experience! I know I can't replicate that but I have to get it a bit more smooth. I don't need it to thump, just get some bottom end and get the harshness out.

Oh, this was not about me, but I guess the Alpine look is nice without bringint too much attentin to itself.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:15 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Alpine or Kenwood
Old 01-20-2008, 06:38 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dual XD622. Cheap, nice sound & minimum bling. Fits like a glove.

Ian
Old 01-20-2008, 10:20 PM
CT944
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

i think amber lighting is a must, but not many sell them with 100% amber.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:49 AM
diamondcarrera
Instructor

You can have any colour illum with some of the alpines - I have white and it suits the rest of the car giving a period-ish look
Old 01-21-2008, 09:10 AM
ron_dargenio
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for all the suggestions! I was going to stay basic, but after reading the thread and doing some searching, I wound up at crutchfield.com and saw a number of models that have bluetooth built in. I try to avoid talking on the phone while driving but this car is going to be a sunny day driver and the bluetooth will be worth getting.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:37 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep your eyes open for a used Becker CDR220 on eBay. They're original Porsche radios (in fact, I think they say Porsche on the front) and look "correct" in an older car. No bling, graphics, etc.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:35 PM
V.A.G.
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by scottb
Keep your eyes open for a used Becker CDR220 on eBay. They're original Porsche radios (in fact, I think they say Porsche on the front) and look "correct" in an older car. No bling, graphics, etc.
x2!! A nice and simple radio which will match the interior of your car
Old 01-21-2008, 03:54 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

"replaceing the changer with a very low profile subwoofer all in one unit. "

- not possible. A subwoofer requires much more volume. You could put a tweeter in there tho, but risk signal interference.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:47 PM
bargamon
Advanced

Randy,

The changer is under the passanger seat. I put a stock subaru powered unit for my sons car under his passanger seat. IT was a factory option and its just a little thing. With a mild speaker upgrade in his car it made a huge difference. More full rich sound.

My Prologic unit in my bmw has two 8 inch woofers under each of the seats. You hardley know its there and its great. Had an 99 ML320 with a bose woofer under the drivers seat. Was nice.

Im not trying to move air, just enrich the sould. Generally these units are about 4 inches thick and cost under $200. The "all in one" is the amp and thin woofer" in one unit.

The sound of my 3.0 (yes in my 74!) is music enough. But with the roof off volumn is no problem, just a bit more low end is all I want.

Saw a crazy unit that fits in the trunk and vents thu the AC vents. Looked very thought out but I don't want to lose an inch of trunk space and its just not that important. Im sure I can always just drop a box in the rear floor if I need to but prefer to not have anything lose.

It really not a big priority.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:53 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

OH, I see - I thought you meant an in dash changer.

I'd still call that a woofer, not really a sub. But yes, it should definitely enrich the sound. 911s are hard cars to do a stereo in.

Quick Reply: CD player recommendations