significant hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2002, 05:35 PM
kvnz911
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post significant hesitation

Hi guys,
I posted a topic a couple of months ago regarding massive hesitation in the rain.
Here's an update:

I've replaced the plugs, cap and rotor and although it runs much stonger, it's not fixed. Now the problem can be created when dry as well. I'm thinking it's temperature related but not sure. If I romp on it from idle, I can reproduce the hesitation, usually happens between 1000 to 2500 rpms. I'm now thinking it's on the fuel end of things. Could it be the chip? Could be the fuel pump relay but I'm just not sure. Could also be the Jacobs coil going bad.
Any help is appreciated.
I got a carwash yesterday and could barely get the car to roll (just like the first time it happened but this time, decklid was closed). It decreases after time, whether it's water or temperature related I don't know.
But at hi rpms, it runs really strong so I'm stumped.

thanks guys

One thing to keep in mind, it first appeared after I cleaned the engine and hosed it off (lightly).
Old 01-07-2002, 11:36 AM
carrera
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It seems that you are having an ignition problem.
Whenever a car has troubles after getting wet, usually the problem is plug wires and or cap.
Seeing as you have replaced the cap, I would suggest checking the wires.
Have you looked at the engine at night when it was wet? If you see a light show then obviously your wires are bad.
You should particularly have a look at the wire ends where they go onto the plugs, these can sometimes go bad and cause problems wet or dry, especially at low rpms.
Have a look inside these ends they should be clean and shiny if not this could be your problem.
You also mention the pump relay, it is not very expensive and known to fail so it would be worthwhile to change it as well.
The plug ends are available from the dealer individually.
Good luck
Old 01-07-2002, 01:14 PM
kvnz911
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Good news, it's the coil. I replaced the aftermarket Jacobs with the stock unit and botta bing!
I'm not totally familiar with the internals of a coil but I'm pretty certain it doesn't contain fluid. This one was partially full of fluid as heard when shaken.
Anyway, all is well for a reasonable price.

Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: significant hesitation