Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Winter Road Salt

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 03:16 PM
pingman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Winter Road Salt

Hi Folks, (specifially the northern folks)
Sorry about your weather here of late. I have been reading many of the threads
trying to gain knowledge, and a thought or idea occured to me so I thought I would share. Here in the south (deep south actually) we do not have to contend with road salt unless we have had some really bad weather. But also growing up around the coast I have been introduced to a product that actually neutalizes salt on equipment used in salt water. So I thought to myself let your fellow northern rennlisters in on this product and see if they have heard of it, or maybe can try it, to prevent the road salt from doing what salt does to precious metal. The product is called salt-away, comes in a gallon jug to be mixed with water, uses a pump up type sprayer or lawn spryer to apply, and will not harm chrome, fiberglass, paint etc. I do not have an ocen-going vessel, just a small lake boat, but do have deep sea rods and reels that I have used it on. It can be had at Cabelas, Bass-pro, U.S. Marine etc. Just an idea I had. To me the most cost effective maintenance is "preventive maintenance". As always, check the label before use!
Mark
Old 01-15-2008, 04:31 PM
JonH
Burning Brakes

Thanks Mark for the heads up on the salt-away, I've actually heard about something like that when I lived in Wilmington NC, but not up here. It's nice to hear a little concern for us up north though, you sure you don't want to make a quick "snow, what's that?" comment just to confirm you're really from the south
Old 01-15-2008, 06:16 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sounds like a great idea.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:18 PM
old man neri
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm surprised I have never heard of it up here.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:34 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never heard of it out here either (Utah)...

I bet someone could "franchise" the hell out of it over a 5 year period - perhaps adding this as a "spray on" upsell as the last step of the automated car wash... Hmmm....

We saw this with the Ziebart "anti-corrosion spray" model which was franchised in the 1980s... Now, of course, it is part of the manufacturing process of the car.

-B
Old 01-15-2008, 08:45 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep in mind that the salt that does the most damage is the salt that gets into the corners, cracks and crevices and never gets flushed out. Most cars rust from the inside out.

You'd have to submerse your car in this substance that Mark tells us about in order to neutralize the salt that gets into the small areas on a car while traveling on roads. I doubt that you could spray a car effectively with this substance to protect all areas of a 911.

If this substance needs to be mixed in water, it would be hard to apply to a car that stood outside during the winter. It's supposed to be in the single digits this weekend in my neck of the woods and water outside freezes quickly...

Mark, thank you for the suggestion though. However, keeping them in storage during the winter months is still the best bet for rust prevention.

Jay
90 964, 84 3.2
Old 01-16-2008, 03:21 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

Looked at a Carrera Targa(in southern california) a couple of weeks ago that the Carfax showed it had been in Pa. With the car parked on the street and me on the ground, I could see no rusting. However, under fender at the rear wheel on the mounting point of the frame (a reverse yoke,dont know the proper name) there was an odd flake of undercoat. I asked the owner if I could poke it with my pocket knife and the blade went thru-- rusted out pan/frame. Black rubber glue over rusting out. After, again looking closely at all the underside, I could see no other tattle tale signs of corrosion. Salt country is tough on cars, Coastal cars even in Calif can suffer with the salt if they are close to the ocean.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:10 PM
JonH
Burning Brakes

I remember when I owned my 944S2 at the beach in NC, I would have to clean the windshield from the salty air even when sitting in the garage! Yuk. This is why my P-cars now get a comfy garage and a cover this time of year, and the cheby can get my groceries.

Quick Reply: Winter Road Salt