Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

difficult warm starts

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 04:06 PM
maspirito
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts
Default difficult warm starts

I have a 74 CIS engine that is somewhat difficult to start when cold. It runs perfectly when started and has no issues running for extended periods of time.
If it is restarted within minutes of stopping it starts beautifully.
If it is left alone for 30 min then it is quite difficult to start.
Do these symptoms point to a fuel accumulator problem?
Thanks in advance for all of the insight.
Mike
Old 01-08-2008, 05:06 PM
gecc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's usually the fuel pump check valve or the o-ring(911 110 936 00) on the end of the fuel dist. pressure regulating valve.
I'd replace the pump check valve (911 608 901 00) and go form there. If one of these does not solve your
problem the you will need a set of fuel pressure gages to diagnosis the system.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:40 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

There are many possibilities for your problem, but I would start with your ignition distributor. It is far simpler to replace the points, set the dwell angle and timing, and test, than to dive into the CIS. Also, after the 30 minutes, are you using the hand throttle? Is it set properly (with it all the way up does the car run at about 3800 rpm warm)? Does your car have long storage periods? Is the car tuned properly, and what is the CO% set at?
Old 01-08-2008, 11:19 PM
maspirito
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

After the car if fully warmed up and the hand throttle is still engaged it does not run at 3800 rpm but more like 2500.
I have not checked the timing or the dwell angle recently but will give that a go .
the confusing thing is that it runs flawlessly once it starts.
Thanks
Mike
Old 01-09-2008, 05:20 AM
wayneb911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have rebuilt the whole fuel system on my 77 2.7. As Geec said start with the fuel pump check valve as its the cheapest. If still no joy normally it points to either accumulator or warm up regulator. My guess would be the warm up regulator as the second main cause if the check valve does not work. The CIS suffers from fuel evaporation making hot starts difficult aftera period of time. If not addressed it will end in detination of the airbox so make sure you have a pop of valve fitted or it will be costly. Also check for air leaks round the back of the metering unit. Any air leaks on a CIS injection system will cause uneven running and poor starting.

Quick Reply: difficult warm starts