Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

performance upgrades to a 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 07:29 PM
abetterkyle
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default performance upgrades to a 3.0

Ok well the SC that i'm buying is a 3.0 what all can you do performance wise to these? it has the old CIS setup.

Where can you find turbo kits for these cars?

can you upgrade to the newer bosch system? and if so how easy is it?
Old 01-07-2008, 08:21 PM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

getting extra power is expensive but you probably want to start with some good headers like SSI and a muffler like a monty or M&K

about the only other thing you can do is add webbers and a mild cam. form there extra power really means rebuilding the engine with more compression, more displacement and bigger cam all mated to a set of PMO carbs

the cheapest upgrade is to "add lightness" ie pulling out the back seat, adding light weight door trims & removing A/C etc

stripping weight and ensuring your suspension and brakes are in good condition will yeild better results than forking out huge amounts of cash trying to extract a few exra ponies

before you spend a cent (except on ensuring roadworthiness) learn to drive the car to its limits (its limits are beyond what the average guy is capable of) and ascertain what areas you think need to be improved the ntake it from there

note there are plenty of very quick race cars that use CIS due to class regulations
Old 01-07-2008, 09:29 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,102 Likes on 787 Posts

Gee a guy dising his own car . sheesh

The CIS in my car has performed flawlessly and is not nearly as finicky as setting up carbs via linkages and the such. I also would suggest to slow it down a little and give the "old cis" a chance to show you a few things, a few well spent track days will serve you well.
If at that point you want more grunt your options are as limitless as your wallet .. One of the most "ruthless" cars I have ever been in was an SC with a 3.6 varioram dropped into it. That thing was unbelievable.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:36 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

abetter, I would start with a refresh mentality. Things like new tires, sparkplug wires, rotor/distibutor cap, C/V boots, swaybar rubber, shocks, and the like. The motor is only half the fun. with the things I have done to my car in the last year it's been like getting a new car several times. From the sounds of things around here, most of us get more pleasure out of our suspention than our motor. Ya, it's great going 120 ok ok 140+ but, going 35 and pulling unreal G's around a corner is where it's at. We have lots of site sponsors that can help you do what ever you decide.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:09 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by abetterkyle
Ok well the SC that i'm buying is a 3.0 what all can you do performance wise to these? it has the old CIS setup.

Where can you find turbo kits for these cars?

can you upgrade to the newer bosch system? and if so how easy is it?
Hi:

The only effective bolt-ons for these CIS cars are SSI's and a good dual-inlet sport muffler. Other things involve engine work and are not cheap. Its posssible to build a strong 3.5 litre CIS engine (to maintain smog compliance) but it takes some serious $$$ to do that.

I would NOT recommend turbocharging these engines since CIS has fuel delivery limitations and there are critical metallurgical differences between the SC and 930 engines. If you want that kind of power, I'd recommend installing a good 930 motor.

One can upgrade to Motronic but its not cheap nor simple to do. It all depends on what you want to do and your budget,..
Old 01-08-2008, 02:12 PM
abetterkyle
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you guys for the insight. I wasnt sure how well the CIS system held up. compaired to the motronic.

I'm not dissing the car. i love the car, i'm just used my 400whp GTI, which freakin is ***** out. Now the SC is way different in the driving aspect.

I love the way it drives, just didnt know how to squeeze a few more ponies out of it reasonably. Just to make it a little more fun to drive, we all know that if we could have more power out of em we would.

I also didnt know how much the 3.0 motor has been as far as holding up and power.

What have everyone else done to there 3.0's? have many swapped in a 3.2?
Old 01-08-2008, 02:23 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

If you want serious power, you need to swap in a late 3.6.

We've done quite a few of those and that works VERY well.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:25 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,102 Likes on 787 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
If you want serious power, you need to swap in a late 3.6.

We've done quite a few of those and that works VERY well.
..see post 3 .....
Old 01-08-2008, 06:01 PM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by abetterkyle
have many swapped in a 3.2?
there is a few around but IMO just go straight to the big ***** 3.6
Old 01-08-2008, 06:29 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I know where a homeless 3.6 is at. Still in the car but begging for a body transplant. I'm thinking it's gonna be in the $8,000 range, but I'm not a site sponsor, so I'll shut up now.

Quick Reply: performance upgrades to a 3.0