Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Want RS/RSR/R Gruppe style 911. Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 12:44 AM
airiscool
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want RS/RSR/R Gruppe style 911. Advice?

Hello air cooled friends,

The time has come to add another car and I dearly desire an early "hot rod" 911, a la RS/RSR/R Gruppe type, something like the black beast of Jack Olsen or the pumpkin of Tom Butler.

The only catch is that my budget needs to stay in the sub-$50k range The good news is that it doesn't have to be a concours car since it will get driven on the street and tracked from time to time and I am less concerned with originality than I am with performance, i.e. I would prefer to have a late model injected 3.2L or larger lump in the rear than a hand-built 2.8L carb'd race unit. A power to weight ratio of 10:1 or better is a must!

How should I proceed? Do I buy a rust-free '84 Carrera and start taking it apart or is there a good chance that I will be able to find something on the used market that is at least 90% correct for my needs? Is my budget reasonable if I am patient? I honesty don't even care of the car has 930 turbo flares with the correct bumpers and ducktail rather than the correct, and expensive, RSR-style ones. Am I painting a clear enough picture?

Thoughts and advice? Thanks
Old 01-06-2008, 12:58 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I think you are only a couple minutes from finding the car you are looking for.

I'll be right back....

EDIT:http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=385464
Old 01-06-2008, 02:42 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"is there a good chance that I will be able to find something on the used market that is at least 90% correct for my needs? Is my budget reasonable if I am patient?"

yes on both counts. buy a car already done. you (& your hired expert) can evaluate the quality of the work, pay only a proportion of the actual cost, & have your heart's desire in hand immediately. keep in mind that the 2.7 clones & the 3.2 types have a different feel from one another. you're right not to focus on flares, color & similar incidentals - the donor chassis condition, the execution of the project & the overall appeal to you are what count. enjoy the hunt (& don't forget the ppi expert & patience)!
Old 01-06-2008, 04:51 AM
dsmith
Racer

Originally Posted by douglas bray

I'll be right back....

I believe that one is sold. Told to me by someone wanting a good chassis for a good engine who called on it. The thread isn't updated, yet.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:49 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry about that, It was way too good a deal.....
I saw a cars.com ad for a yellow long hood up in Oregon a couple days before Christmas. I called the dealer and he said he had it for a long time. It went home with a Rennlister for Christmas 'cause as soon as I mentioned on here I was booking air fair it was gone..........
Old 01-06-2008, 04:06 PM
gunlover05
Racer

Originally Posted by douglas bray

I'll be right back....

ohhh, if i had the extra money and time, and the rust was taken care of properly, that would be a great deal imo.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:25 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Buy mine. I've only advertised it on the Early S forum for now, so follow this link. All it needs is paint, and if you're going to track it some like me, you could just wait on that. If you want a widebody, I have 911ST/RSR front fenders I will throw in.

TT

Quick Reply: Want RS/RSR/R Gruppe style 911. Advice?