Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Removing strut insert from the strut cartridge

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 12:56 PM
WolfenII
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing strut insert from the strut cartridge

I have been lurking on the forum for several months and have found invaluable information on DYI projects for my 87 Carrera.

Last weekend, I removed and replaced the rear shocks, it was very painful, but came out successfully. This morning I started on the front struts and all seemed to be going well until it came time to remove the strut insert from the strut cartridge.

Does anyone have any suggestions on removing the insert? It seems to be held in by the suction of the oil in the insert.

Since this is my first post, I am posting a pic of the beast.
Attached Images  
Old 01-05-2008, 04:05 PM
gunlover05
Racer

I just went through a complete suspension rebuild and had a similar problem....try to remove the rubber o-ring on the strut - will take a dental pic..put the nut and washer back on and whack down and up on it a few times....i had a stuck insert myself and the only way i got it out was to use a punch from the BOTTOM of the strut - yes, i had my strut off the car and roll pin out and there is a clear shot from the bottom bottom of the strut..
Old 01-05-2008, 05:56 PM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have a Bilstein or Boge Strut?

If you have a roll pin at the base fo the Strut hosuing it is a Bilstein strut Housing and you need to drive this pin out before they will come out.

If it is a non-Bilstein Strut, try slipping something thin between the housing and the strut instert to let some are into the hosuing area. Some times you just need to pull really hard to get it out. If you can grip the top of the strut itself, rotating it may help break the suction as well.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:11 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,027 Likes on 731 Posts

I think gunlover has it . I had the exact same issue ( that is if it is a boge strut .. black ) . it is amazing that , that tiny thin rubber o ring can hold it firm. i got mine with the dental pic too.

If you didn't already, don't forget to tape your fender lip with low tac painters mask and then a layer of duct tape. may save a paint chip or two :-)
Old 01-06-2008, 09:50 AM
WolfenII
2nd Gear

Gunlover, that is exactly what I did, once I removed the top washer I saw the o ring. I removed it with a dental pick and the strut easily came out. I have Boge struts and am replacing them with Bilstein. Thank you!
Old 01-06-2008, 10:26 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,027 Likes on 731 Posts

don't forget to remove the oil with a suction gun ... or you will be cleaning a big mess...

Quick Reply: Removing strut insert from the strut cartridge