Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Performance Chips

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 08:28 AM
Boca Porsche
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Chips

I have been reading about performance chips. However, most people are reporting the effect from them combined with other modafications. Does anyone have any experience with the chip with no other mods? I have an '88 Carerra that is completely stock. I am interested in adding a chip but I am not doing other mods. Do you feel an effect from the chip alone? I also have noticed there are many chips out there. Which one is the best? I drive my car daily. I am mostly interested in response under 4,500 rpm and around town driving.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:32 PM
samsnead
Pro

Check out www.911chips.com.

If you go on Pelican parts and search in their forum you will find tons of threads on Steve Wong chips. I have his chip and many others have.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:35 PM
rbcsaver
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

As samsnead wrote, there is only one chip to get and that is Steve Wong's,
www.911chips.com
Just do a forum search.
regards,
Steve
Old 01-03-2008, 01:21 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

I have a stock 87 911. I used to have a Weltmeister chip in my car before I took it back to stock. I definitely noticed a difference. I noticed that it wasn't as zippy anymore. By this I mean that if I pressed the gas quickly with the chip in there, it would lurch forward with a lot of power. Without the chip it doesn't feel as strong, however I like the classic power curve of the 911.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:38 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What about this chip? Russell and I have talked many times and he is a site sponsor.

http://www.maxhpkit.com/
Old 01-03-2008, 12:36 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bocaburger,

Would you just buy the darned chip already??? Jeesh!

You should provide the info, seriously, that you are using your car mostly in 80+ degree weather with the A/C on. This definitely robs the car of power in the range you are describing. I'll bet when you drove last night in the 40 degree weather, sans AC, the response was better and more linear, right? 911s like cool air, and A/C was an afterthought in their design process.

That said, $350 or so, in a Porsche, is basically "free." Try it...if you don't like it, return, or sell to someone else...Wong chips are the "SSIs" of the chip world!

By the way...that car could use a set of nice SSIs and a Monty...
Old 01-03-2008, 02:29 PM
rbcsaver
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by douglas bray
What about this chip? Russell and I have talked many times and he is a site sponsor.
May turn out to be fine, but a new unknown quantity/quality. Steve Wong has hundreds and hundreds of satisfied customers.

Given where you live Steve W. will tune a chip to your local conditions and octane availability.
regards,
Steve
Old 01-03-2008, 03:20 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep,..Steve's the way to go. Just phoned him yesterday to discuss the very same thing on my 89 (completely stock)....I'm looking for better partial throttle response under the 4K RPM window (NOT top side HP dyno runs) and prefer (for now) to keep it stock. There's not much question that Steve's chip provides this....

I'd suggest calling him and discuss. He spent much time with me yesterday and was very helpful. I'm definately gonna' get one from him.

Again: call him.

Best,
Old 01-03-2008, 11:28 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by douglas bray

Thanks for the plug Doulas!

For the rest of you fellows, I'm not an unknown. I have chips in over 400 944/951 cars. I bought my own 911 to do 911 development on, and now have not only a chip solution, but also a MAF kit for the 3.2L 911. I've spent about 20 hours on the dyno, and 8000 miles of logging and tuning on this car. I will gladly pit my product against any on the market. My chps are also 100 bucks cheaper than the competition, and my MAF kit is half the price of what is available. My chip products come with a 30 day money back guarantee, if you don't like it, you send it back. I don't get many back...

I'll tell you what, the first 5 people on here that PM me by January 15th get a free chip. You have to already have an aftermarket chip of some kind, and you'll have to post here your opinions of my product compared to what ever you have now. It's that simple. Any takers?

Regards,
Russell
Old 01-04-2008, 12:27 AM
spence88mph
Rennlist Member

I can try one out for 2 weeks send it back and write a report (in 2 weeks it will have a GT30r hanging off the back!)
Old 01-04-2008, 12:37 AM
spence88mph
Rennlist Member

here's the loot, just waiting on a FPR and turbo mapped chip.
Attached Images  
Old 01-04-2008, 09:43 AM
SpartanToJo
Instructor

Russell,

I sent you a PM. I'll have a go. (And I'm a heckuvalot closer than AUSTRALIA!!!)

Tom
Old 01-06-2008, 09:55 PM
SpartanToJo
Instructor

Originally Posted by rberry951
Thanks for the plug Doulas!

I'll tell you what, the first 5 people on here that PM me by January 15th get a free chip. You have to already have an aftermarket chip of some kind, and you'll have to post here your opinions of my product compared to what ever you have now. It's that simple. Any takers?

Regards,
Russell
Russell,

Who were the lucky five first to PM you on this amazing (and generous) offer? I'm hoping that I'm one of them!

Thanks,

Tom
Old 01-06-2008, 10:02 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by SpartanToJo
Russell,

Who were the lucky five first to PM you on this amazing (and generous) offer? I'm hoping that I'm one of them!

Thanks,

Tom
Hey Tom, you are one, but I'm not going to say who the others are, they can speak up on their own if they want to. I don't actually have 5 yet, Douglas doesn't count, our arrangement came about before I made this offer. He's helping me out and getting a chip out of it. I have three people including you that have opted to take the pepsi challenge. I'm waiting till the 15th to send all chips out at once. I should have five by then. I think not everyone has seen the offer, I should have started a new thread just for that. Actually, I may do just that.

Regards,
Russell
Old 01-06-2008, 10:55 PM
spence88mph
Rennlist Member

I sent you a PM. I'll have a go. (And I'm a heckuvalot closer than AUSTRALIA!!!)
Yeah.... that's the community forum spirit! Jerk.

Quick Reply: Performance Chips