Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Cam Choice 2.2L E 71 engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 02:52 PM
drwhosc
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cam Choice 2.2L E 71 engine

I am about to embark on an engine rebuild. I have a 71 2.2L E engine. I am considering going to an S cam, but in Bruce Anderson's book porsche 911 performance handbook, he proposes that staying with the E cam is better choice for this engine.

What I can tell the S cam has a longer duration and a larger throw. The ports on the heads have a larger diameter.

What do you all think, I have the S cams, should I thouw them in there. If I thow them in there, do I need to update to S pistons, and S heads. Can I bore my E heads???

thanks in advance -- rr
Old 12-28-2007, 03:43 PM
joetiii
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Though I'm a long hood owner, I have a 3.0 transplant so I'm not really an expert in this arena. From what I read, the hot upgrade is to use S pistons with an E Cam. This gives you a bit more grunt across the entire rev range and will result in better acceleration in the 0-100 mph range. My thinking continues that an S cam with lower compression E P&Cs will result in less low end torque and less high RPM power since the heads arn't flowing as well as S heads.

The guys at the EarlyS registry would have more advice on this.

BTW, S cams in larger displacement motors have a similar powerband as your E cam. As I am just now gathering parts for my engine upgrade, I am looking for a set of S cams to regrind to spec so condition isn't important.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:55 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi:

The real question is about how you will use the car.

City driving, country roads, track days are different environments that must be considered when choosing camshafts.

Most importantly, "S" cams will do nothing at all for you unless you modify the rest of the engine to "S" specs. While thats very possible to do, you should first determine whether the loss of torque below 5000 RPM is acceptable to you.

If you do decide on "S" cams, the heads should be opened up to "S" spec, install "S" pistons, modify the throttle bodies & stacks to "S specs, and have the MFI pump recalibrated to "S" specs. None of this is cheap but 2.2S motors run VERY well if everything is properly done.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:46 PM
drwhosc
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks all. Took advice and did post in the Early S reg. good advice. My orgiginal plan was to MFI a 3.0L engine. Just got way to complex. I did get the S cams for the project. turns out one is a MFI 2.7RS cam, the right sided one is a Solex cam though. The folks in the S board also agree to stay with the E cams unless I want to match the engine to S specs.

Quick Reply: Cam Choice 2.2L E 71 engine