Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Rocker Arm DISassembly

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 02:20 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocker Arm DISassembly

Dropped an elephant foot into the camshaft housing today THAT SUCKED. After 2 hours, got it out but it was already dark, freezing, and so damn windy. Drove all the way back to LA. My point is, I need to get the rocker arm assembly apart because you cannot get the adjustment screw in any other way (or at least that is what I was told). I tried to get the assembly apart, you need to allen wrenches, the bentley manual says 5mm and 8mm. The 5mm fits perfectly one side, but the 8mm seems to have too much play, its not a snug fit. It is loose and the wrench does not go in deep enough, maybe it's supposed to feel like that. Also these allen bolts are SO darn tight that I can't get it loose. The allen wrench just ends up bending and deforming around the part that goes into the allen bolt. I even tried liquid wrench to no avail. Anyone have any suggestions? I really just want to drive my car already

PS. Glad I caught those adjustment screws, the elephant feet had come completely loose, that could have been a messy start up!
Old 12-27-2007, 09:10 AM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

I made a special 8mm to hold the nut. The 5mm is the actual bolt you turn, use the 8mm to hold and turn the bolt with the 5mm.
(yes, the foot goes in from the backside)
It's possible to put those in backwards which would make it difficult to replace while in the car, based on spacing. I remember having problems with number 1, but they should come out fairly easy, the torque spec on those is.... I think 11. Honestly mine weren't all that dry when I bought my car, after a fresh rebuild I had one shaft walk.
If I remember right all the bolts, the 5mm ones, should go in and come out from the center sections of the cam housing.
heres a pic of my 8mm

Last edited by J. Brinkley; 09-17-2008 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:03 AM
mo_gearhead
Instructor

I agree with Jerry. I used a extra long 5mm wrench. That's the side (bolt) that you need to turn. Allowing the 'nut' side to turn is NOT GOOD, as it may scuff/score the bore and cause a leak later.

Liquid wrench is good but if you have access to a SMALL (acet./mapp gas) torch tip, heat may help loosen them.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Rocker Arm DISassembly