Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

$200 912 for 911 parts...worth it? Worth Anything? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 12:02 AM
onewhippedpuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Post $200 912 for 911 parts...worth it? Worth Anything? Help!

Let me start by saying that this is an extremely informative forum, I've been lurking in the shadows for a while, living vicariously through others until I can afford my own p-car. OK, with the flattery out of the way, I need help. I've been offered a '69 912 for $200 or less, and need to know if it is worth it. Motor is gone (good riddance), 901 tranny, S front suspension, carrera whale tail from god knows where, body is fairly gone, as is I suspect are most of the other many parts prone to rusting on these cars. Car is essentially complete beyond missing engine, has hideous wheels that I believe were original to 912. Interior is black and decent according to owner, and has five gauge cluster- 911? I have only seen the car from driving by, and am going to look at it Saturday so some info may be false at this point. To sum it all up, are the many interchangeable parts between the 912 and 911 desirable enough that it would be worth purchasing and parting out. Any feedback would be appreciated, hopefully positive because I sure could use the extra money in my Porsche fund. Thanks.
Old 02-21-2003, 01:22 AM
Mike Kast
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ya get what you pay for
Old 02-21-2003, 01:38 AM
cmoss

Given the current unpleasantness with Churmany, perhaps you can sell $5 whacks on it with a sledgehammer?

cheers,
Chris
Old 02-21-2003, 08:52 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I just bought (well, last fall...) what sounds like the same thing...rusted out '67 912 shell for $275...with intentions of bringing it back to a 911R replica. But I think its too far gone. I don't see why I can't get about that much in parts? I would think each gauge would be worth $30 - $50 each considering they're not for sale anywhere new? Being a short wheelbase, my suspension parts might be worth something, again for the same reason? I don't know, maybe I'm just hoping because I feel like I've wasted my money?!?!?!?

You also might want to add the fun factor of taking apart a Porsche!

Good luck!
Old 02-21-2003, 01:21 PM
Chris Martin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you have the time and space for the parts you should be able to part it out and make a little $$. Think about all the time it takes to talk with potential buyers, pull the parts, store the parts, packing the parts for shipping.... it becomes quite a bit of work. It can be fun though, you will learn all about how the car works and what parts are where.

IF the tail is in nice it's worth the $200 by itself.

Quick Reply: $200 912 for 911 parts...worth it? Worth Anything? Help!