Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Does this Certificate look legit to you?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007 | 11:07 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Default Does this Certificate look legit to you?

Any Certificate of Authenticity experts? Does this one look real?
Attached Images  
Old 12-21-2007 | 11:30 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

It does not look like the one I got for my Targa about 12 years ago, the one I have is much more ornate however the way the options are listed and the VIN is printed is very similar.
Sorry I could not be more definitive. Interestingly mine is not even 100% correct, It does not list my cars full leather that is on the option sticker.
Old 12-22-2007 | 11:40 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

CoAs have changed their appearance over the years. I have two, one issued in '92, the other in '01. They are different from one another and both are different than the one you posted. Your photo doesn't show the complete document (is it a xerox?). However, the vebiage, fonts & page layout shown conform to Porsche style for a CoA - my guess is that it is real (or a great fake - but to what end?), but I wouldn't stake $ on it w/o direct examination. Some CoAs have an authenticity stamp, most also come w/ a signed cover letter. If it were a critical matter, I'd call PCNA & read them the data while they compare it to their on-file info. (& yes, they are known to have errors or be incomplete)
Old 12-25-2007 | 11:16 PM
Wbjrace
2nd Gear

Default COA

I just got two of them for 1975 Carreras and they are plastized, "Certificate of Authenticity" script in red and all other priniting in black. At the bottom is the signature of the Pres. and CEO of PCNA. The layout is not the same as yours.
Old 12-26-2007 | 12:50 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

yeah it's legit , the one I got 8 years ago was beautiful , well worth the money , framed it and it looks excellent... The lataest one i got looks like yours , a piece of paper spewewd out of a printer that just made the company over a hundred bucks, a total rip off and the company should be embarrased. ..
I even called and told them so .. did me little good of course ... i threw it in the bottom drawer of my desk in disgust.
Old 12-26-2007 | 12:53 AM
old man neri
Drifting

That sucks Clive. Ever call anyone outside of North America to complain?
Old 12-29-2007 | 01:18 AM
Mike S.
Pro

Originally Posted by theiceman
yeah it's legit , the one I got 8 years ago was beautiful , well worth the money , framed it and it looks excellent... The lataest one i got looks like yours , a piece of paper spewewd out of a printer that just made the company over a hundred bucks, a total rip off and the company should be embarrased. ..
I even called and told them so .. did me little good of course ... i threw it in the bottom drawer of my desk in disgust.
IIRC, the C of A I got for my 951 in 2002 was $35. And yep, it contained a meaningful error, which they happily corrected...they listed the model incorrectly!!!! It was a quality print job with a tasteful jacket. At $100 a pop now though, this is obscene IMO.

Mike
Old 12-29-2007 | 12:04 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

When I had my 1964 230SL Mercedes I called Mercedes NA and they sent me a copy of the original German build sheet with all serial numbers and options for free.

Quick Reply: Does this Certificate look legit to you?