Old 12-18-2007, 10:56 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts
Exclamation Always get a PPI - Ebay cars

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=190160655487

Looks can be deceiving

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=383087

"Firstly the car I got did indeed have rust, surface rust on the whole gas tank underside, rust enough in the rear area to separate the undercoating and rust through in the rear back seat area.

Secondly when I went out to where I had the car delivered I found that the car would not run. At first we thought it was a bad battery so we replaced that. But that didn't help. It turned out the carbs were full of junk which was why the car would not run. Maybe Jack never used the car and it sat for three years as the license plates had a 2004 registration. Jack had told me on the phone that he had had the engine out and replaced the engine area sheet metal and fixed the oil leaks. The car when it came had prodigious oil and even gas leaks.

Jack had also removed the gear shift **** for some reason and the nice patina interior meant a large hole in the drivers seat and door pockets that would just hang there. The tach did not work, the high beams and emergency blinkers didn't work, there were paint drips on the bumper, there were holes in the fender from a missing passenger side mirror. "

John
Old 12-18-2007, 11:05 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

That is a very sad story. I really hope it works out in the end. There are all sorts of people out there. PPIs are a must, can't be said enough.

Reminds me of this winner. 9min video but still entertaining.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:09 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 812 Posts

Man what a couple of great posts .. the ebay woman was priceless....
Old 12-19-2007, 12:15 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ask red67 about the $30,000 his friend almost lost in Orange County if it were not for me doing my first PPI for someone else. ($30,000 plus the cost of shipping to Denmark) I had to end the PPI when I could fit my fist from the cabin in to the trunk under the dash in a "rust free" long hood.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:35 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know why anyone in their right mind would even pay 34000 dollars for that old of a 911, even if it WAS in great condition. Sounds to me like he kinda got what he deserved, he didnt really research his purchase, that happens with any car. Walk into a toyota dealership with no knowledge of the car you want and they'll take you for all youve got too.

On another note he needs to call an attorney, you are not allowed to lie about the condition of a product that you sell on ebay. He needs to print the webpage, take it to a judge and show that he claimed the car is "Rust Free". If the car is dilapitating with rust, they will slam that guy with a horrendous fine. I'm sure he wouldn't even want to take it to court and would pay the guy who bought it 125% of what he sold the car for.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:09 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The "it isn't worth it" argument just doesn't work any longer. Long hood cars are now valuable, and buyers have dictated the market up to where it is today. Jim Schrager writes on this subject from both a collector, and business, perspective, and recently pointed out, in the Jan 08 issue of Sports Car Market magazine, that upward pressure comes partially from '73 RS models now selling for $200K. Dave Kinney, "carsthatmatter.com" pegs the '73 E Targa between $27,900 (condition 3) and $47,300 (condition 1) + 5% for a 5-speed trans. I would certainly pay $30K-something for a long hood 911 than a million + for a Hemi-Cuda convertible! Hopefully the buyer of this car has not had any work done yet, and has documented all of the car's ills with pictures. Saving all written claims made by the seller, and putting them side by side with the car's actual condition will help to clarify the issue. Then a lawyer should be hired to write a letter to the flipper, letting him know with absolute certainty that a lawsuit will follow if the car is not taken back. An even more acceptable situation might be to give the flipper the opportunity to reduce the purchase price by an amount agreed to by both parties, and the buyer can use those funds to bring the car up to speed. Yes, you've heard it from me before - PPI, PPI, PPI!!! It's a buyer beware world, maybe more so today than ever.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:19 AM
Rick K
Rennlist Member

If I was in the position financially (and had the interest) to buy a great show car/weekend driver - I wouldn't hesitate pay 30K+ for a long hood that was in excellent (completely restored) condition.

But paying 30K plus for something without a PPI and without putting your hands on it first is crazy.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:27 PM
Luus
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UGH! What a mess. But why would he trust a seller he didn;t know and buy sight unseen without a PPI Lesson learned there I hope. Now he needs to find a good lawyer. either way he will be spending some more $$$ to make this go away
Old 12-19-2007, 06:02 PM
JonH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rick K
If I was in the position financially (and had the interest) to buy a great show car/weekend driver - I wouldn't hesitate pay 30K+ for a long hood that was in excellent (completely restored) condition.

But paying 30K plus for something without a PPI and without putting your hands on it first is crazy.
I agree completely, and that is a cool color car, but if you have the money to drop 34k on a car unseen I wouldn't be looking for advice after the fact, I would be looking for a good financial advisor. I'm personally finding it real hard to feel sorry for the guy.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:20 PM
phiba
Advanced

Originally Posted by old man neri
Reminds me of this winner. 9min video but still entertaining.
Judge Judy rules!
Old 12-19-2007, 08:33 PM
EddieC
Rennlist Member

Gothing - The car you described and the car in the ad don't seem to be very close to one another. Do you have any legal recourse?
Old 12-20-2007, 06:58 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Eddie,

I am not involved in the sale or purchase of the car.

I just posted the thread and links from the Pelican thread.

John
Old 12-20-2007, 09:54 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 812 Posts

Yeah John is our profesional Ebay and Craigslist surfer .. if there is a car ( or good story ) in there . he will find it
Old 12-20-2007, 10:52 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Originally Posted by theiceman
Yeah John is our profesional Ebay and Craigslist surfer .. if there is a car ( or good story ) in there . he will find it
Who me

Time to get back to work...

John
Old 12-21-2007, 07:32 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonh
I agree completely, and that is a cool color car, but if you have the money to drop 34k on a car unseen I wouldn't be looking for advice after the fact, I would be looking for a good financial advisor. I'm personally finding it real hard to feel sorry for the guy.
I would have to agree. More money than sense.

Quick Reply: Always get a PPI - Ebay cars