Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Boge Shocks - Much Improved?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2002, 12:22 PM
ChrisL
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Boge Shocks - Much Improved?

I am going to replace the front inserts and rear shocks on my '86 Carerra. This is a street everyday driver (no track for me so far) with original Boges front and rear. 137,000 miles is probably enough for my current set.

Darren at Pelican says Bilsteins are the most popular replacement shock by far. But, he feels the new Boges are actually much improved and areasonable alternative. He also said Porsche didn't choose Boge as OE in '86 by accident.

Any idea what I should choose for front insets and rear shocks? The $500 Bilsteins vs the $350 Boges.

Thanks.
Old 05-29-2002, 02:02 PM
Wil Ferch
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi:
If your OEM Boges were hydraulic ( or even low pressure gas)..adding Bilstein hi-pressure gas will likely raise your car 1/4-1/2". When I changed from hydraulic Boge...I went with hi-pressure adjustable Koni fronts, and a not-too-typical adjustable hydraulic Koni rear. Re-setting ride height for the front is a snap, the rears are a real bear. Talk to Jason at Paragon Products who can set you up with proper part numbers. This combo worked for me without resetting ride height.
--Wil Ferch
85 Carrera
Old 05-29-2002, 02:59 PM
Tom F
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's my two cents' worth.

In twelve years of driving torsion bar equipped 911s, I've had Koni reds, Koni sports, Bilstein Heavy Duty and original equipment Boge, both the old type and the later gas pressure variety. If you drive the car on rough roads (like the Boston waterfront, where I work), you will like the gas pressure Boges best. My second choice for rough roads is the Bilstein HD. For fast highway driving the Bilsteins have an edge. The Konis are not for me. The garden variety Boges bottom out too easily.

Just my two cents' worth.
Old 05-29-2002, 06:23 PM
8 Canary
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

First you should nail down what you have on the car now. Although Boge are refered to as the softer more comfortable choice between the three (Bil. Koni Boge), there was an optional "sport" version available on the 1985+ models too. The normal Boge was standard while the sport was a sophisticated double cylinder design. My 1985 came with the Boge sports. Remember even if you return your car to the same configuration as original, new comfort shocks are more brisk than the same worn originals, and sport versions even more so etc...
Old 05-30-2002, 12:22 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Chris:

When I still had my '86 3.2, I replaced my stock Boge shocks with new Boge's. They suited me well for strictly street driving on our poor roads. I believe I was also told that the new Boges were definitely improved from the ones installed by Porsche when my car was new.

I paid around $50 a shock which was quite reasonable for Porsche shocks.

Good Luck,
Jay
90 964
Old 05-30-2002, 02:43 AM
Ed Bighi
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I personally run Bilstein Sport because I like a monotube design for many reasons. But Koni or Boge are excellent. Keep in mind that when most people say that the same shock in brand new condition makes a big difference, they are right on the ball. The thing is that shocks age very gradually making the difference in feel over the years barely perceptible until it starts to get out of hand. You will be surprised if you just put in new ones.

Quick Reply: Boge Shocks - Much Improved?