Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Tough pricing question: 1988 Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 08:20 PM
denver88carrera
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you're both right. Diamond Carrera has a cab--even rarer than the coupe--and has it in the UK where they probably numbered only in the dozens, at most. I'm guessing he's got a lot fewer KMs than I have miles, which is going to make a world of difference to a collector. I will mention this car's special status, but given the miles and history I won't add anything for price just for the limited edition. I hope the buyer feels they got as lucky as I did when I bought it.

In the meantime, I suspect I'll need to get a storage unit and a battery tender and hope the snow melts early this year.

Kevin
Old 12-20-2007, 08:26 PM
denver88carrera
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MDL
If it really turns out to be a special addition and it looks as nice in person as it looks in the pictures you posted here you might try the Barrett Jackson Auction in West Palm Beach coming up in March 26th - 30th.
I'd hold out for the televised auction in Scottsdale but I couldn't live with myself if they sold it for $250,000 and priced us all out of nice drivers cars.

I do love my car, but I'm not sure I can brag that it's that nice!

Kevin
Old 12-21-2007, 07:19 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, the Commemorative Editions are not "rare", and will add virtually nothing to the price. Since I purchased mine, I've seen a lot of them "come & go" over the past few years (and have seen a few in person), and although many of them are well kept, pristine examples of G50s, they simply will not command "much" of a premium over any other nice '87-88. With the accident history and mileage, I don't think there will be a "premium" on your car at all. That being said, I'm sure it's a great car, and someone will be very happy. I'm curious about the color matched 16" wheels...mine (as did all I'm familiar with) came with the 15" version, and I've never seen them in 16s, are they from the factory or did the PO have them done? Good luck!

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 12-21-2007, 09:19 PM
denver88carrera
Rennlist Member

Good eye Keith. As I mentioned in my first post, the previous owner went to 930-width wheels on the car. I forgot to mention that this bumped the diameter up an inch as well. I love the look and grip this provides, but it certainly adds some unsprung rotational weight as well so it probably doesn't help things in a straight line. I'm not expecting a premium of any kind on this car for the Commemorative status but I hope the next owner appreciates the color combo as much as I do. My new 911 is white over black and I miss the silver/blue terribly. (Thankfully the new one has a turbo to help me get over this. )
Old 12-22-2007, 07:22 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOVE the Diamond Blue Metallic (who doesn't)! I can almost guarantee that when a potential buyer comes along, you can park that baby in the sun (you know what I mean) and the car will virtually sell itself. I searched daily for over six months for a G50 with no particular color in mind (though I had a few colors I did not want), and then checked out a local CE. I was "hooked", but alas, there was another buyer ahead of me...a few days later, my car was posted for sale here on Rennlist, and I pulled the trigger. I didn't realize at the time that DBM was also available on non-CE models (at least in '87 it was), but I WANTED one real bad. One other thing, when I was searching, I "thought" I wanted a tail, but purchased one identical to yours. I then purchased a new tail and used decklid thinking I would add it, but the "clean lines" grew on me, and I sold 'em. Good luck on selling your car. Go DAWGS!!! I used to live in Jax, so I know that'll get a rise out of ya

Keith
'88 CE coupe

Quick Reply: Tough pricing question: 1988 Carrera