Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Any advice as to how to "roll" the fenders?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007 | 01:53 PM
Joel Lester
Intermediate

Default Any advice as to how to "roll" the fenders?

I just had my '86 Coupe lowered and it rubs just a tad as I turn and hit a bump at the same time (left front). I have heard you guys mention many times about "rolling" the inside of the fender lip. Is there a special tool for this seemly easy task? If so, where can I get one?

I'd appreciate any input!

Joel
Old 12-15-2007 | 02:11 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Joel:

There is a special tool made specifically for rolling fender lips but its not cheap.

I've had excellent success by using a small wooden baseball bat between the fender lip and tire while rolling the car forward and back to do the job. The fenders must be warm to avoid cracking any paint and its done in small steps.

Patience is your Friend,...
Old 12-15-2007 | 02:23 PM
Joel Lester
Intermediate

Thanks! It makes sence to use a wood product to avoid any scratching. Did you get the bat from your local major leage team store?
Old 12-15-2007 | 02:28 PM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Joel:

I've had excellent success by using a small wooden baseball bat between the fender lip and tire while rolling the car forward and back to do the job. The fenders must be warm to avoid cracking any paint and its done in small steps.
That is known as the NASCAR method.

I have a buddy who is a Shelby restorer and he has a method he uses on GT350 race cars. It's beautiful, expensive, and takes a lot of practice and patience.

Steve
84 911

It was done on this car, Shelby 6S293 that I used to race. Very subtle, but it eliminated the rub.

Old 12-15-2007 | 02:32 PM
Joel Lester
Intermediate

Awesome. That thing must drive quite a bit differently than a 911 - being a front engine nose heavy car vs. a tail happy rear engine car!
Old 12-15-2007 | 03:34 PM
64_Comet
Intermediate

My buddy used a metal pipe and a heat gun on his race car.

Note I said race car...appearance was definitely secondary.

There is a fender rolling tool that is $270 at tire rack.

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/tools/fenderlip.jsp

If you have some friends that would also like to do this you could all chip in on it together and then rent it out to anyone else that wants to do it and use that to recoup your tool costs. There might be someone in one of the local car clubs or racing clubs that already owns one too.
Old 12-15-2007 | 04:25 PM
911S3.6
Pro

Eastwood also sells one, www.eastwood.com but it is a couple hundred dollars.
I used a wooden handle from a round point shovel, since the space between the fender and tire was to narrow for the Steve Weiner Approved Method. Just like rolling out dough for bread, even pressure, roll slowly and do many passes- don't hurry the process.
I did mine this way, on a street car, with Pearlessence paint no less, and all went well.
Once complete, you want to make sure shmutz and dirt don't accumulate in the fold you created, or it will trap moisture and rust.

Nick
Old 12-15-2007 | 04:37 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by 64_Comet
;There is a fender rolling tool that is $270 at tire rack.

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/tools/fenderlip.jsp
Thats the tool I was referring to. We have one for the employees who are not skilled at the baseball bat method,....

I use an old Louisville Slugger that I've had since 1960 and I suppose I've given away my age,...
Old 12-15-2007 | 04:48 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Get the fender rolling tool or see if you can find one locally to rent or borrow....Unless you have the skill, it is extremely hard to do with a baseball bat and you may end up with cracked paint....I learned that the hard way. Luckily, it was an old race car so cosmetics were not a priority! I am envious of the guys who can do it with the bat, I wish I could!
Old 12-15-2007 | 05:57 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I have used a section PVC, softer then the wood or pipe.
Old 12-15-2007 | 11:10 PM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Thats the tool I was referring to. We have one for the employees who are not skilled at the baseball bat method,....

I use an old Louisville Slugger that I've had since 1960 and I suppose I've given away my age,...
I have the Eastwood roller and it doesn't fit the 5x130 bolt pattern. The bolt circle has to be a little bit bigger to fit the Porsche.
Old 12-16-2007 | 10:09 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I actually used a regular hammer on mine. I put silver duct tape on the fender itself as well as on the face of the hammer. The trick is to do this VERY slowly. Light and slow. Usually you only have to do this to the Front Left one.
Old 12-17-2007 | 07:51 PM
Capt. Carrera
Racer

A wood bat works great. It has a bit of give. It does not bit into the paint too much. Best method is to roll the roll the car in turn rolling the bat. Take your time. Bit-by-bit is the best approach.
Attached Images   
Old 12-18-2007 | 02:04 PM
911pcars
Racer

I'm one of the few who advocate grinding the lip for clearance rather than folding the extra metal over.

Reason? The folded or rolled lip creates a narrow channel that collects dirt and moisture. If you go this route, make sure the area is clean before rolling. After rolling, fill the channel with something waterproof, like silicone or acrylic caulking material to seal the area.

Some worry removal by grinding will weaken the fender. As long as a 90º lip at the fender opening remains, the strength of the opening won't be affected.

Sherwood
Old 12-18-2007 | 04:50 PM
73-911E-Targa
Intermediate

Here is a great link with detailed pictures.

Quick Reply: Any advice as to how to "roll" the fenders?