Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

It cost HOW MUCH?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 10:23 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea Mobil 1 Delvac is a synthetic gear oil. It works with cars that have LSD AND cars that don't so its all gravy. Only place I could find it in gallon jugs was Lufteknic.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:50 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

As explained by Peter Z. and Marc of Red Line Svc. the "hard to shift when cold" problem I am having may best be helped with Kendal synthetic 75-90. (8 qts @ $32.00) and because I have LSD he also sold me the Kendal LS additive (1 small stinky bottle @ $8.95) I gave him $50.00 'cause he told secrets for about an hour. I don't really think I have a problem tranny, It just sounds like rather than living with a stiff first gear when cold, I can live with a less stiff first. Truth be told I am curious about the LSD additive that should make turning with the back end even funner. Now with the LSD in the condition it's in.....holly crap that's fun. this is the first car without power steering Iv'e driven in 20 years so I am learning all over.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:57 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Hehe nice Doug. Yea my transmission does the same thing when cold, I just slip it into 3rd just like Pete does, it works just fine. I usually warm up the car for a long time anyhow but if I HAVE to drive cold, which is rare, its the 3rd to 1st trick. I dunno about Kendal, I went through a big long thread and posted and at the end of the day everyone agreed, Mobile 1 Delvac.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:02 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

let me admit something here....I don't think my car is out of the norm, nor do I think it is a problem, nor do I have to do the 3rd to 1st trick....it is just a little more of a push than when warm. (I just wanted to see the shop)
Old 12-19-2007, 12:41 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Btw I just want to state here and now that I passed all my exams and actually did pretty well. I STILL HAVE A JOB! haha There is your quote of the week Doug, I did that just for you.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:11 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

PETER Z. YOU ARE THE PORSCHE GOD! I spent this afternoon under my car, driver's side on the curb, passenger side on a stack of 2x6's. I got smart and got a creaper at Napa for $30.00 to make the job go smoother. The old tranny fluid was almost clear. Kinda yellow, but not as yellow/orange as the Kendal. I used a large syringe for the additive bottle and a pump for the oil. When the job was done and the tools were clean it was almost instantly obvous that I had changed the oil. It never felt so smooth. After the first time around the block I could tell that is was getting easier to go from first to second. What was really noticable was how much easier it went into first while still rolling to a stop. Even the fine vibrations fron the road didn't transfer thru the shifter as much. It was even quieter! We took a quick run down the freeway to get her good and warm then drove thru the neighborhoods back and almost didn't believe it when I turned the corner at the house and laid down 20 feet of posi rubber after a snapping double clutch. Is it really that noticable? I think so. It has an almost sticky feel to the shift lever now. Springy or tacky or squishy or soft as opposed to the click click that I used to get. Very cool Peter Z.. I don't know how to repay you. Thank you very much. Tell Marc that the quality rating of Red Line Svs. is still 100%. Really Pete, thank you.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:29 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts

Doug, what kind of oil was that you used? (I don't have a LSD but I do have a G50)
Old 12-22-2007, 11:48 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

old man, as above.....

MAJOR EDIT: It was 8 PINTS, not 8 quarts. I think it took 6 1/2 pints.

As explained by Peter Z. and Marc of Red Line Svc. the "hard to shift when cold" problem I am having may best be helped with Kendal synthetic 75-90. (8 qts @ $32.00) and because I have LSD he also sold me the Kendal LS additive (1 small stinky bottle @ $8.95) I gave him $50.00 'cause he told secrets for about an hour. I don't really think I have a problem tranny, It just sounds like rather than living with a stiff first gear when cold, I can live with a less stiff first. Truth be told I am curious about the LSD additive that should make turning with the back end even funner. Now with the LSD in the condition it's in.....holly crap that's fun. this is the first car without power steering Iv'e driven in 20 years so I am learning all over.

have you looked up "BRAY" in the dictionary yet?
I am the loud harsh cry of a jack ***.

quote of the week:

i'm afraid i took director of photography lessons from the douglas bray school of film... red67

Last edited by Amber Gramps; 12-23-2007 at 11:34 AM. Reason: oops
Old 12-24-2007, 04:53 PM
cal44
Burning Brakes

Ahhh the rush. To think, I get to read postings by Peter Zimmerman, this my friends is what heaven must be like. I study his books, read and re-read the old editions as well as the new and I look at cars with his/mine book in hand. Remember when Bill Clinton would walk around with the gigantic bible? Well the 8th edition isn't quite that large but I never approch a car for sale without it. Thank you Mr.Z
Old 01-02-2008, 12:49 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, after two weeks in MN, almost buried by snow, we are back in Bakersfield and I have caught up with this thread. Doug, I'm very pleased that the combo of Kendall + LSD additive did the trick in your car. The Kendall synthetic is a wonderful product, as is the other Kendall gear oil best used in '86 and earlier cars.

cal44, thank you for the nice words, comments like yours mean a lot to me!
Old 01-02-2008, 02:54 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Peter, while you were gone I did a fiew things to the car and with the car that have brought mixed outcomes. I don't have the words for the tranny and the LSD. She is a new car. I think soft and sure are good words for it. I drove 357 miles yesterday with about 15 cars from the San Diego Pelican group. What a great bunch of guys. You won't believe the story behind the 1970 911S on the drive. Glad to see you are back 'cause I have a couple questions.....
Old 01-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Batman 357
Instructor

This scares me. I'm getting new trans fluid & hoping for the best. Mines hard to do the 1 -2 shift when warm. Double clutching does not seem to help. The idle speed varies from 1k to 1400 when warm so it's hard to be consistant.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:16 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Batman: What year is your car?
Old 01-02-2008, 03:49 PM
Batman 357
Instructor

It's an 82.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:04 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

That explains the 1st to 2nd difficulty. The 915 is a different animal than the G 50 used from '87, and the usual cause of your symptom is that the second gear synchro system is beginning to fail. As time passes the friction surface of the synchro ring begins to wear away, reducing the outside diameter of the ring. As that size reduction happens the sliding sleeve cannot effectively stop the gear from turning during gear engagement (the sliding sleeve initially contacts the outer surface of the synchro ring, compresses it so that its brake can be engaged, which stops the gear dead). If the gear is still turning when the slider engages it, the teeth on the inside of the slider will hit the dog teeth on the gear instead of engaging them smoothly. Eventually dog teeth will break off; when enough of them are missing the synchro ring will expand far enough to prevent slider engagement, but the more common event is that the synchro ring will fly out of position, freeing the brake bands, anchor block and energizer block to do other internal damage. It's always best to fix the problem before total failure occurs, so I think that you should probably drain your trans and check how many dog teeth are stuck to the drain plug magnet. If there are none, it's possible that the synchro ring is bad, but your driving technique is gentle enough that you have prevented additional damage.

Quick Reply: It cost HOW MUCH?