Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Has anyone...?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 01:44 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Has anyone...?

...bought the Griot's Garage orbital polishing system? Any positive/negative feedback would be appreciated (I'm a long-time Meguiars user who is considering alternatives that can ease the load on my bad shoulder)...
Old 12-07-2007, 02:21 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Pete. I was going to ask for it for Christmas before things tightend up. I have a friend of mine who's used pretty much everything under the sun & he said he'd be sure to borrow it often if I did get it.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:58 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 98 Posts

Have had mine for about one year and really like it. System is very easy to use and I have been very pleased with the results on all three of our street cars. In fact, the system works well enough on my BLACK Cayenne that I don't have swirl marks (and those of you with Black Porsches know that simply LOOKING at those cars seems to produce swirl marks!).

Toby
Old 12-07-2007, 03:03 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

cheaper to get the porter cable random orbital buffer and buy some of the pads - but yes, I have used it over the years - HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT

I still wax my car a few times a year by hand (for the quick touch up) but when I want it to glow - I used the random orbital polisher (and the red pads) - It's like magic!
Old 12-07-2007, 04:50 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
...bought the Griot's Garage orbital polishing system?
Pete, I haven't used the Griots polisher, but you might ask the detailers over at http://www.autopia.org forums what they feel about it. Lots of VERY good detailers over there.
I have a Porter Cable random orbital. I like it.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:05 PM
DARISC
Racer

...bought the Griot's Garage orbital polishing system? Any positive/negative feedback would be appreciated (I'm a long-time Meguiars user who is considering alternatives that can ease the load on my bad shoulder)...
That's a Porter Cable, Pete. Griot's may charge more for the same unit (they did when I bought my Porter Cable).
Old 12-07-2007, 08:54 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info, guys! Is the trigger on the Porter Cable orbital both right hand and left hand friendly?
Old 12-07-2007, 09:26 PM
DARISC
Racer

Thanks for the info, guys! Is the trigger on the Porter Cable orbital both right hand and left hand friendly?
Yup - slide switch is on top, center. The Griot's polisher IS a Porter Cable. I bought mine from Autopia several years ago. Doesn't have the "basket handle" (so I didn't have to remove it ). Autopia is good - check out their on-line detailing manual and the detailer's BBS.

I went with Sealant as opposed to carnauba as a result of reading their manual - interesting stuff. If you buy a Porter Cable elsewhere, Autopia has the selection of pads and backer.

Keep the shiny side shiny!
Old 12-07-2007, 10:32 PM
JonH
Burning Brakes

Actually, they are not the same unit but VERY similar. The Griot's garage unit has a vented pad with a fan blade over it, the PC is a solid backing pad. I like the handle on the Griot's garage one, the switch on the PC. You will love using the polisher, big improvement over hand polishing. They both work great, and very easy to use, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either. (slight jack, sorry) The PC shown here I was going to sell for $70 if anybody is interested, or maybe we can work a deal on that SC you have for sale Pete!
Jon

Last edited by JonH; 06-05-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:20 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Hey, a PC polisher for an SC + a little cash... Wait a minute, an SC for a PC... This is all so confusing...anyway, I think that we might be able to work something out!
Old 12-08-2007, 12:23 AM
nyne11
Rennlist Member

Slip over to the concours area of the perf and Comp forum. You will get plenty of feedback there!
Old 12-08-2007, 07:04 AM
Naitove
Instructor

Did you see the ad in Pano? I just bought one for my son for Xmas.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:27 PM
jacksonrw
Three Wheelin'

i bought the porter cable when griots had that as their orbital and found it cheaper online somewhere else...I love this tool and it is very durable
Old 12-08-2007, 06:43 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is true that the pads are critical to good results, and they have different pads for cutting, polishing and waxing. The white pads that come with the PC are of very little use, except as wax applicators.

I would want the Griots video before my first polish.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:42 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

I was inspired by this thread to wash and wax mine today. Of course with my porter cable and red griots pads... woo woo

Quick Reply: Has anyone...?