Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Comments on this SC please

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 09:51 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Comments on this SC please

Looking for your comments on this car. I am not interested in the buy it now price so any comments other then price are appreciated. Thanks in advance as usual.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1978-...QQcmdZViewItem
Attached Images  
Old 12-03-2007, 10:41 PM
JonH
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally love the silver/chrome look but do you think you will be happy over time with the bright blue interior? I know this is a very personal decision, but as you know seats, door panels, and a dash would be expensive to replace if you're not totally in love with that color. Plus, I'm guessing that color combo will hurt resale a little. It's just a guess, but I would think it is a respray based on the lack of road rash vs. the wear and tear and look on the underside as well. Good luck!
Old 12-03-2007, 10:48 PM
Trader220
Race Car

I am fine with the interior, but you're right it may be a hassel to sell when the time comes. Interesting comment on the ratio of road rash to under carriage rash, thanks good eye!
Old 12-03-2007, 11:17 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

I thought only Euro cars had the air pump but this one doesn't have Euro side markers or the Euro narrow rear bumperettes and the VIN is too early to show the ZZZ. Hmmm...
Old 12-04-2007, 12:45 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 294 Likes on 191 Posts

looks kinda skody underneath... has oil run down the trailing arms, or brake fluid?? From the bottom, it looks like it has more than 60k miles, though anything is possible. As an aside, I LOVE the blue interior in person. its pretty loud, and im sure its not for everyone. A local wrench owns an SC with those threads, and I absolutely loved it!
Old 12-04-2007, 04:25 AM
nicklouse10
Instructor

looks as though the front antiroll-bar and the offside front track rod may have been replaced recently. I can see what looks like small blobs of yellow paint on the ARB and red paint on the Track rod.
dunno how it works in the states but quite often when you buy second hand parts in the UK they have similar markings.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:06 AM
SvenS
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Chris M.
I thought only Euro cars had the air pump but this one doesn't have Euro side markers or the Euro narrow rear bumperettes and the VIN is too early to show the ZZZ. Hmmm...
Side markers first appeared in 1981 with the 204hp engine here in Europe...

Sven
Old 12-04-2007, 08:27 AM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

full disclosure here....i'm a pessimist when it comes to used 911s...start with the after market wheels ....would bet a bunch that the mileage is not correct....give away is that the seller sstates that "the previous owner certifies the mileage to be correct"....would also bet that the top end is junk...valves, guides, etc.....been there once and got burned....before you make an offer, have it inspected to include a comp and leak down....
Old 12-04-2007, 08:33 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

That smurf blue interior is too much for me.

John
Old 12-04-2007, 12:03 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Okay here is my story, and thanks for the comments. About 10 months ago I bought a 79 targa with good intentions. My wife got me hooked on the targas when we bought that 87, I had owned everything but a targa before that. I started accumulating parts for what I wanted the car to become. By the way the car I bought was a ROW targa. Anyway, I once offered to teach anyone options skills for welding skills here and got no takers, which is what I expected, so I went to plan B. One of my Fathers retired partners is a collector of old American iron from the 40’s he has the skills I need for the small projects I wanted to do. The targa was a nice car, in a beautiful sort of robin’s egg blue, don’t ask me the paint code. Anyway I never titled the car or registered it and I ended up selling it, the flipper in me was too much to over come.

Parts I have accumulated... rear valance, all 4 bumper bellows, chrome sugar scoops, 2 16x7 and 2 16x8 Fuchs (poorly finished ), all new rubber targa seals, lots of individual pieces of bright work none of it black, windscreen from 1987 targa w/ internal antenna, dozens of small pieces for the interior, 4 calipers from a 1988 Carrera, 4 brand new rotors, 2 rear bumpers 1 of them ROW with ROW pads, I am sure there are some things which I have forgotten too. Oh right, 2 different front rubber lips w/ hardware and an assortment of chrome mirrors for both sides, not sure if any of them are correct.

We took the used rear valance I bought, and stripped it, straightened it and welded up the gaps from the exhaust. Then he cut a 10 inch gap in the center for my idea of twin center exhaust. We had it primed up and that’s about where my story ends.

My vision is targa I can use not as a daily driver but one I can use to fly back and forth to the rink 3 or 4 days a week spring, summer, and fall. Plus have it for a weekender on hockey road trips in those same seasons. I am going after the retro look with the stainless targa bar and the chrome sugar scoops and bright work.

My thought is that this car is a bit too original to really shake up. I really like the Silver/Blue. I am not a fan of red and each time I say never again to black I end up with a back something or other. I have poked around at a bunch of pre g/50 Carrera targas and some SC targas. This one caught my eye and I thought if it PPI’d well and I could get it closer to my price it would be a good starting point. I now think it may be too original.

Thoughts?

Thanks for all the feedback on some of the threads I have started. Thanks to those who I have contacted individually for technical advice on some aspects of this small project. The reference material on the windscreen swap especially.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:54 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts
Thumbs down

I agree with smokintr6. The miles seem suspect.

Quick Reply: Comments on this SC please