The RS project....or....how I rode the slippery slope and survived

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 04:13 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The RS project....or....how I rode the slippery slope and survived

Here we go.............

I've got a healthy high 5 figure budget and a client with a desire for a fantastic "old school" RS replica he can drive without risking a $250K car.

Take one freshly painted rust and accident free 1975 rolling chassis.......target 2,400 pounds.....cost $10K.

Tear down the 915 for a complete rebuild with all new bits as needed and a Quaife LSD.....cost $5K.

Spend $25K +/- on a recently acquired 3.2 engine...........PMO EFI, 3.8 RS cams, SSI's, Carillo rods, and a bunch of other trick parts and machine work everywhere along with lots of attention to detail........target 300 HP and 7,500 rpm.

GT racing RS front and rear bumpers as well as ducktail and plastic rear window. New 16" fuchs about to be painted green to match the RS decals........

A complete suspension rebuild, larger brakes, replica seats, door panels, a complete interior makeover.....TRE CS half cage......no carpets.....etc.....etc...etc....etc.....

There's lots more that I don't have time to list.....but you get the idea.

Should be driving it by the end of February. Weather permitting obviously. Will keep the updates coming as it progresses. And when it is driving and set up.....we're going to dyno tune it and I'll post the sheets here.
Attached Images      
Old 11-30-2007, 04:41 PM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Keith, if you're going to do this, do it right with early long hood, front fenders and the proper rear bumper/filler. Save your customer the headache and just throw a 964/993 3.6 into it. People buy horsepower but drive torque

Oh and by the way, ditch the sunroof too...
Old 11-30-2007, 05:03 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

He wants the sunroof.......and likes the narrow body car actually........so no longnose, flared fenders, etc.....but we have the correct rear bumper. With the RS front air dam and the "smile" removed we'll be OK, and many won't know the small differences.

We talked about it......and he really doesn't want to go that route mainly because of the additional cost of all the body parts, and the fact that the body was just completely redone by the PO at a cost of $8K.

So buying all the extra bits and then installing them and repainting the car again would have been stretch financially just for a bit more of the look.

IIRC installing a 3.6 in the older car is a bit of a pain.......and the available 3.6 engines were all double the cost of the used 3.2.

Last edited by YYC930; 02-12-2008 at 08:35 PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:27 AM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

...that nose just doesn't look right on a car without flares.....
Old 12-01-2007, 06:05 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

I pushed for an RSR body myself.........or IROC copy.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:11 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

If he is going to track it, don't use the quaife.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:27 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

25K for a 300-hp motor?

Everybody should get whatever they want. But will the whole project be worth that much when it's done?
Old 12-01-2007, 10:43 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Alan......

He won't track it. But he does drive about 30 kms on the highway to work every day.......one way.

What is wrong with Quaife ? I use a lot of them and love the way the work on the car. No unhappy clients yet or failures.

Jack.......

Nope, not a chance.......and I told him that upfront and he is OK with it. I think this is probably Porsche number 15 for the guy. I estimate the car will bring 50 cents +/- on the dollar if resold ($70K est total cost). But that is not in the plans yet.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:54 AM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

......i've also started my conversion....from a 77 with factory flares to a 73 replica as well.....am using the kit with the fiberglass long hood option available from Damon.....that way you don't have to change out the fenders....this is a before shot.....removing the rear panel and the front bumper is done and am waiting on the glass
Attached Images  
Old 12-02-2007, 08:28 AM
jester911
Drifting

Mike, post more pics when you get the front done. I would also like to know more about this kit that Damon sells. I know about him and seen some of his work but did not know about this kit.
thanks.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:49 AM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jester911
Mike, post more pics when you get the front done. I would also like to know more about this kit that Damon sells. I know about him and seen some of his work but did not know about this kit.
thanks.
...i'm getting my glass from him in the next week or 2....will let you know
Old 12-04-2007, 10:41 AM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Default Quaife or LSD?

Originally Posted by YYC930
Alan......
What is wrong with Quaife ? I use a lot of them and love the way the work on the car. No unhappy clients yet or failures.
Jack.......
Jack - sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I understand that the Quaife is quite satisfactory for street applications; but not suitable, particularly in higher horsepower to weight applications and the LSD has a distinct advantage under threshold braking and corner entry/trail braking. I had originally been lured by the Quaife and was seriously considering one for my next transmission; however, one of our resident pro-racers held a clinic in his shop and addressed differential types as well as other set-up issues. I did not take that many notes; but what I gathered was at a minimum the Quaife was less stable under accel and braking and could be particularly bad on lift throttle transitions and corner entry. I had another friend who had a Quaife installed in his RS clone GT3 Club Racer and was very disappointed. From what I have read it may be that a TBD has an advantage in wet conditions; but, I could be off-base there. Unfortunately, one of the threads starts with good general information then addresses legality for Club race as opposed to addressing performance characteristics.

I searched for threads addressing differences and provide the following -
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=Quaife

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=Quaife
Old 12-04-2007, 12:44 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Alan....I searched also....but did not go as deep. This car will never see a track.....so we're gong with the Quaife.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:38 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

The 3.2 engine arrived today.......interesting that it does not have collapsible oil return tubes........those are pretty common on older engines by now.

We're going to have it torn down and the case split by 3-4pm. And all that tacky red stuff will be redone.

The tranny is out at the machine shop and the Quaife has been ordered along with new syncros and side bearings....everything else was in execellent shape.

The TRE roll cage will be here next week and the car goes to the body shop tomorrow.

More updates will follow as work progresses. The good and the bad.
Attached Images  
Old 12-05-2007, 01:38 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The engine was $25K or is going to become $25K?

EDIT: sorry, should have looked more closely at the list of "to do's". It is to become a $25,000 power plant.

Quick Reply: The RS project....or....how I rode the slippery slope and survived