Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

oil residue after smog pump removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 09:50 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Default oil residue after smog pump removal

One of the first things I did when I got this car was remove the smog pump. Now I've noticed a buildup of oil underneath where it was and it looks like it could possibly be coming from behind the mounting bolts for the pump. Is there a factory part to cover these up or should I just come up with something?
Also, those new Clewett spark plug wires you see in the picture don't have the ground wires that the factory ones had. Are they not needed or was I supposed to buy something else with them?

thanks

Old 11-29-2007, 11:13 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

Well i think you forgot to put nuts on :-)

remember that thing was all held in place with nuts.

This is how mine was done. Not the neatest but it works ( was done this way when I got the car )

Last edited by theiceman; 01-09-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:15 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Also you really need to conside hydraulic tensioners as one of te first projects ( you can see them on my pic )
Old 11-29-2007, 11:31 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

OK I'll just throw something on. Why don't you think it already has hydraulic tensioners? I have the receipt for them from the PO.
What about those plug wires? I see you don't have them either so I guess it's no big deal.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:43 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Oh sorry you do have them on there .. I just took another look , couldn't see them under all that grime

There may be a very good reason for the braided ground but these Bosch ones i put on have been fine. I may put the other ones on for looks eventually.
looking at yours I may be able to why i have those brass "pipes " on , the thread doesn't go all the way down. looks lik someone put on a aluminum " crush washer, the pipe, then another crush washer and nut, mine as you can see are dry as a bone, after you clean up your engine bay a little it will lookgreat
Old 11-29-2007, 11:48 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Thanks for pointing out the grime! Just curious, how can you tell from a picture that an SC has the tensioners?
Old 11-29-2007, 11:52 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Well what you are looking for is the small oil lines that feed the tensioners. if you look at my pic you will see a small oil line by the left stud, it is held in placeby a bracket, this is the tensioner oil feed line. Now if you look at your pic you might see how I missed it at first glance ( your left most arow is lying right over the oil feed line ) , the bracket is coverd by your wiring harness in the photo and the oil line is , well, er ,, well camouflaged ?

If you look to the right side of the engine you will see a similar oil line their also to feed the passenger side tensioner. cars that have not had this update do not have these oil lines. it is an easy thing to spot when shoping for a car and gives you a quick judge of maintanance.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:39 PM
Andy Kay
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Iceman,
Next month I'm getting a long overdue valve adjustment. Also installing new Clewitt ignition wires and a plug/cap/rotor/belt tune up. While I'm in there, I'll remove the air pump Y bracket and spider tubing from underneath. I got the plug nuts from Pelican along with new SSI and muffler gaskets because they said I should them for easier access. What did you do?

Last edited by Andy Kay; 02-07-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:48 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Hi Andy

When i got my car the pump was already gone. All that reamined was the spider crap underneath and the pulley. Also the pic as above showing the copper pipes that acted like a spacer. I guess i could have removed it all and put shorter studs in but seemed pointless.

The spider assembly i just got under there with my die grinder and cut it all off , then i was able to remove the air injectors and put in plugs and copper crush washers. I couldnt find the nice plugs you got so i made my own by cutting off bolts.

I out the nut and the washers on for spacing , and the nut so i could run the threads after cutting. I t was a little akward at times for I think cylinder number one but i didnt remove my exchangers at all and it worked fine.

All th ebest

Last edited by theiceman; 01-09-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:11 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

extra pic .. this is quite the patch job to clean things up .. very nice ..

Last edited by theiceman; 01-09-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:18 PM
Andy Kay
Rennlist Member

Awesome job!
Old 01-23-2012, 07:31 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

When i bought my car it was details like this that confused me .. soemone did some quality work on the top end , but left the spider all broken off down below.

There was a factory Porsche bely o it .. not an aftermarket, but there were about 3 strands left of it .. some strange stuff...

i did throw out all the air injectors excpet for one .. never thought to keep them in case anybody was restoring or put them on ebay .. oh well..
Old 02-06-2012, 10:43 PM
Andy Kay
Rennlist Member

Iceman-It's done ...
The Y bracket, spider tubing and air pump remains - gone
Valve Adjustment - done
Clewett Red Ignition Wires - done
Plugs, Rotor and Cap - done

First Drive - Awesome!
Valve Adjustment was well over due.
What an incredible difference!

(I would like to post smaller pics, any suggestions?)
Attached Images  

Last edited by Andy Kay; 02-07-2012 at 01:31 PM.

Quick Reply: oil residue after smog pump removal