Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Just got home from driving the '88 Targa and definitely need some advice ...

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 12:21 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Targa is closer. You obviously like the car. You can get a PPI done by Jason Duarte/RS Enterprises in Ventura. I'd start with the Targa. If it gets a clean bill of health and the price is right, and if you love the car, buy it.

There's always going to be something nicer, newer, better. My advice is to find a car that you love, get it inspected and, if the price is right, buy it! Otherwise, it'll be like searching for the Holy Grail (with apologies to Monty Python) -- you'll always be searching on the theory that maybe there's something better just around the corner.

If you really think the other car might be a possible car to purchase, then frankly I think you should bite the bullet and have a PPI done on it as well. Yeah, it's another $250, but in the whole scheme of things, $250 isn't a lot of dough when you're looking at spending close to $20k on a car. And, if you decide to buy the Targa because the PPI on the other car didn't pan out, you eliminate the nagging thought in the back of your head that the other car might have been better.

My $.02.

Good luck!

ps: As a Targa owner, I'm biased toward the Targa. Great cars!
Old 11-29-2007, 12:32 PM
LUCKe27
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I've weighed my view of all the factors involved here and decided to move forward with the PPI on the black cab. Here is my logic: I like the full convertible slightly better than the Targa top, I like black slightly better than red, and I like the '89 year slightly better than the '88 year (I realize the changes were mostly minor). I sent an e-mail to the Targa guy last night to see where his head is at, and I haven't heard back yet. I know he is showing the car Saturday morning, and it could very well get sold on the spot. The guy with the black cab has been great to work with, and he was not going to wait on me forever to make a decision. Heck, if the Targa stays on the market and the guy offers me a screaming deal on it, maybe I'll drive both for a while and sell one of them in the Spring. The PPI on the beautiful black cab is tomorrow afternoon. I'll report back on the results.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:31 PM
jimcabc
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm a cabrio person myself, but a Targa would be a close second in my book.

If less than perfect bodywork will bother you (it does me), be sure to examine the car in direct sunlight. When looking for my current ride, I had come across a nice red cabrio at a dealer. It was overcast when I first looked, and everything looked good in a first impression. I came back the next day and saw the car in direct sunlight and looked at the body closely. I had to stare for a minute, but came to the conclusion the front fender and door color did not match. It was pretty close, but I knew that if I owned the car, it would bug me every time I would climb in to drive it.

Dim light can cover up a variety of bodywork problems!

Jim
'87 Cabrio
3 X black
Old 11-30-2007, 05:30 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perfect choice!

Best,
Old 11-30-2007, 09:50 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

cabs rock!
Old 12-01-2007, 01:27 PM
irie1029
Advanced

Can't track a cab without a roll bar... PS I love my targa!!!
Old 12-01-2007, 02:44 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

ever see a rolled targa? I'm happy tracking by cabriolet With a rollbar thank you very much!
Old 12-01-2007, 03:37 PM
300cd300sdl911
Advanced

Regarding what to do with a Targa top when you go topless........mine fits behind the front seats without folding. Kind of tight but does fit. We have a both a coupe and a targa. Bought the Targa last year without really loving the look. But now, it's really growing on me. Nothing like taking the top off in nice weather. Now that cold weather has set in the top stays on and it's really not that bad. Does have air leaks but I can live with that given the benefits she gives me during warmer weather. I'm definately not a convertible person so the Targa gives me the open air feel. Also someone made a good point a while back. Targa's may be the best Porsche value as their purchase price seems to lower than both coupes and convertables. In the end....just depends what you like I think.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:10 PM
Luus
Pro

54 degrees today, sun is shining so I took the Targa out for a spin (had the heat on full blast). You seriously can;t be a Targa anytime of year
Old 12-01-2007, 06:34 PM
LUCKe27
Racer

Guy showed the Targa this morning and BOOM, sold. Oh well. Still negotiating on the cab.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:18 PM
Luus
Pro

Just wait for a nice Targa..

Quick Reply: Just got home from driving the '88 Targa and definitely need some advice ...