Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Care of Convertible tops (4 questions)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 04:07 AM
Kevin in Scottsdale
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 9 Posts
Post Care of Convertible tops (4 questions)

I have recently purchased an '87 cab and want to keep the top, in what is now, awsome condition. I have read through the archives that the best way to keep it clean is to just use water and a bristle brush. Thoughts? Also, I have heard a lot of opinions re leaving the top down for extended periods of time. Right now I raise it up at night, and when down the next day, I unzip the window and cover it with a tonneu cover. This takes forever and is a PITA but will be glad to do it if it extends the life. Do any of you stop the automatic cycle when taking the top down to assist the canvas to prevent improper folds or creases? Last question, is it ok to manually pull an automatic top up to zip the window back up or to give the working components a rest?
Old 05-01-2003, 07:26 PM
Mike Shea
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
go to carcareonline.com & get the top seal spray
he will include directions. i use two cans for top & boot.they also sell products for window.
Can't help with second part of question.
I have never unzipped window,i don't remember
if Porsche says to or not.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:50 PM
smoak
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The top on my '88 is in perfect condition too. I will tell you what the previous owner recommended to me. First, I keep a 100% cotton cloth (no sizing on it) on the window when folding it down. This prevents contact with any thing on the way down and while its down. Second, DO NOT WASH WITH SOAP. You do not need it. Soap will fade and not do you any good. Third, go to carcaronline.com and read the article on cab top care. That guy knows how to help people out and I am a very satifified customer. Lastly, use the stupid boot its is a PITA but will save the top. Good luck and congratulations on your Porsche minus that obtrusive roof.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:44 PM
86NOH2O
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use the kit from Porsche. I also don't wash the top every car wash and use a rolling lint remover to keep it "clean." I don't unzip my window for fear of breaking the zipper or leather tag. My plastic window still looks great. Owner's manual just says to unzip it if it's freezing. I think driving around without the boot will get both your headliner and plastic window. I will check out the caronline stuff, probably alot cheaper than Porsche stuff.

Quick Reply: Care of Convertible tops (4 questions)