Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Cab roof problems again

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 03:34 AM
DJB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Cab roof problems again

Just drove back from a meeting - get to the office and the LH side roof motor seems to have failed, roof will not close. The RH side is OK - so it seems not to be a fuse (the wiring diagram suggests there is only one).

Any ideas where I start?

I will have to play with it when I get home.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:22 PM
hoosierdaddy
Intermediate

David
What motor is not working , front header latch or are you talking about the frame drives ?
Jim
Old 02-20-2003, 07:39 PM
Dennis in SE PA
Advanced

Make the top manual. My 87 cab came with a power top. I loosened a few bolts and now it is a manual top! I expected the mechanism to fail sooner or later and did not want to find myself in a pinch. There are two bolts, one behind each side of the rear seats that you can loosen to make it manual. I believe you use the lug wrench to get at them but not sure.
Old 02-24-2003, 07:54 AM
DJB
Instructor

Yeah sorry - the problem is with the motor that operates the folding of the roof not the locking mechanism.

I have not had time to try anything yet apart from converting it to manual mode by loosening the nuts on each of the motors.

I would prefer the roof operated automatically.
Old 02-24-2003, 05:14 PM
jimcabc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry to hear about your power top, David. As an owner of a '87 cab, also with a power top, stories like this worry me a bit! I'd be interested to know from any experienced owners if there is any preventative maintenance that would be recommended for these mechanisms. I think the owner's manual is silent on this topic.

Jim Hatfield
'87 Cab black/black/black
Old 02-24-2003, 07:16 PM
hoosierdaddy
Intermediate

David
I think the car has individual transmissions ( left right ) that operate the top frame and are actually cable driven . If I'm right the cables are usully the problem and sorry to say not a cheap fix . I will check with a friend of mine that has repaired many of these .One thing you might check is on the non working side, there is approx. a 17mm bolt , make sure this has not lossened up.
Jim

Quick Reply: Cab roof problems again