Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

"Brake" dashboard light stays on constantly...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 05:12 PM
elpresidente
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Brake" dashboard light stays on constantly...

Folks, here's an annoying thing that started today AFTER I changed the rear bulbs in my car. I'm now at wit's end. The red "brake" light stays on inside my car. I checked, and my parking brake is fully disengaged, and my brake lights work fine. The only thing I did different today was change the rear bulbs because I noticed corrosion on them. So I changed all 3 bulbs in each rear tailight assembly and that annoying light started staying on. I now have put all the old bulbs back in and the interior "brake" light still stays on.
Help, before I rip that dashboard light out! What should I do now?
(I need to learn that if it ain't broke, don't fix it)
Old 11-25-2007, 05:32 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

I know this sounds strange it it could be a coincidence but your pressure switches in your master cylinder could be causing it. can't remember if they are normally open or closed but either jumpering them or disconecting them would elliminate them from the equation. There is also a micro switch at the base of the handbrake under the carpet.

Good luck
Old 11-25-2007, 07:37 PM
elpresidente
Racer

Thanks. I'll check these out tomorrow. I also noticed the bulbs are really finicky, even the old good ones. They have trouble making contact. I cleaned the terminal(s) and connections. The parts place told me the brake/tailight was an 1157. The turn signal and reverse lights are 1156 does that sound right? I could have sworn those weren't the right numbers. Even though they look the same, the wattage could be different?
Old 11-26-2007, 03:59 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Your brake/tail should be 21W/5W, T/S should be 21W, and Reverse should be 18W. I've never experienced a warning light come on after bulb replacement, you might want to remove the ground strap from the battery for about 30 seconds to allow the system to re-set itself.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:04 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Speaking of, Pete, I think I saw somewhere that the Brake Light also comes on as a secondary warning for either the Alt being bad, or the Oil pressure being low...

Can you set me straight on that one?
Old 11-26-2007, 04:10 PM
MikeTCarter
Intermediate

Hi
I had the same problem on my SC. I was advised to disconnect the battery and leave it for a few minutes. Hey presto, when I re-connected the problem was gone. I understand that this light monitors all kinds of things to do with the brakes but the trouble is that it latches on. Even a momentary glitch will cause the light to stay on forever. Hence, remove the battery and "reset" it.
Good luck
Old 11-26-2007, 04:33 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Fred: Correct, but it's not supposed to react to other problems. The system got better over the years, in the beginning it was pretty stupid. The OXS light ('80-83 SCs) would come on instead of the alt light, sometimes flicker with a bad oil pressure switch, the brake light would come on instead of the alt light, the seat belt light would... and so on. By the time that your car was built the warning systems were pretty good, but that doesn't mean you should replace the m/cyl when the brake light comes on, or replace the alternator when the alt light comes on! Always try to determine what's really wrong with the car before fixing it.

Quick Reply: "Brake" dashboard light stays on constantly...