Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Gas pedal...

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 10:45 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gas pedal...

Darnedest thing happened tonight. I was playing with the car, put new engine cover shocks on, and installed my MAF, revved the car a couple times sitting sideways in the seat and I guess I kicked the gas pedal loose from the shaft. Took it for a test drive and just couldn't go anywhere, the ball on the end of the shaft went into another 'notch' on the gas pedal and I had no travel. By this time it was very dark, and I didn't have a flashlight handy. I can feel a worn socket on the back of the gas pedal where the ball is supposed to go, but the ball won't stay in there. This kinda sucks. I suppose I'll just order a new gas pedal, in the interim I can take a soldering iron and melt some of the plastic on the back to go around the back of the ball so it doesn't slip out again.

I'm just curious, is this a common problem? It makes me wonder if the whole throttle linkage may be out of adjustment if WOT operation has crushed the socket beyond use.

Russell
Old 11-14-2007, 12:00 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

I'm not a 100% sure but you may just need to locate the ball in the socket and then "PUSH" very hard.

I know mine took a lot of force to get it to 'pop' in.

Before you buy anything, undo the gas pedal from the floor and look into the socket to make sure that it has failed.

Good luck.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:57 AM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by psychoideas
I'm not a 100% sure but you may just need to locate the ball in the socket and then "PUSH" very hard.

I know mine took a lot of force to get it to 'pop' in.

Before you buy anything, undo the gas pedal from the floor and look into the socket to make sure that it has failed.

Good luck.

Hey Frank,

I did take a flashlight out there later and looked at the back side of the pedal, the socket is just very worn, looks like it has been smashed apart. It doesn't 'snap' into place, it just goes into the socket all the way freely and slides right out again. I ordered a new pedal from Pelican, in the mean time I rigged it to work. I can play with it some tomorrow.

Regards,
Russell
Old 11-14-2007, 05:27 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

No worries Russell,

Glad you got it sorted, I remember mine was very hard to put on.
Remember to put a little grease on it when you put it together.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:28 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Please - no grease! That connection should be dry (grease will attract a lot of dirt!). When you hook up the new pedal hold the pedal rod with a large pliers held perpendicular to the rod, and supported by the pedal board. Locate the ball socket on the pedal with a fingertip, insert the pedal rod end, squeeze the pliers tight and push hard against the pedal. The pedal board will support the pliers, the pliers will hold the rod, and the pedal will snap on to the rod. If you haven't done so yet, spray the bolts at the base of the pedal (inside and under the car) and let them soak for a couple of days.

Quick Reply: Gas pedal...