Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Front Lights (so what is truly original?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 02:57 PM
myrmidon
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Front Lights (so what is truly original?)

Hi All,

I have been wondering about the front lights of the 911, and have seen many different configurations (some with a narrow surround, some with a wide surround, some chromed) across various years (see attached table 'lights.jpg' that I made below). I guess I could dig through various archives, but there is so much 'at your fingertips' knowledge on this forum, I am sure there are many that know this off by heart.

Observations:
- Based on the averages, it appears that the changeover from the 'wide frame' to the 'narrow frame' happened sometime in 1986?
- It appears that during the 80's the frame was supposed to be colored-matched to the color of the car
- It appears that some people decided to chrome the light surround (I even saw some painted black).
- I did not look into the 70's or prior to that, but am interested in that too.

Based on these observations, and in the interests of originality, I have some questions:

(01) What is the correct light-type from '81-'89? (narrow/wide)
(02) Should it ALWAYS be color-matched?
(03) What are the opinions (facts?) around chroming this?
(04) Are there any advantages to the 2 types of lights?

There are probably more examples than what is shown in the table, this was based on a quick search.

Thanks.

Last edited by myrmidon; 01-25-2015 at 09:20 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:24 PM
Stevie 77 930
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wide band trim was used for the DOT "sealed beamed" headlight assembly for US based models. In early long hood applications the ring was left chrome but in 1975 the factory starting painting the wide band trim the same color as the car. What you see most of the time is the refitment of the Bosch H-4 headlight thats been available for ROW cars. For most long hoods, the H-4 trim is still chrome, but a trim ring could be painted. Most guys with short hood cars paint the trim as in your pictures the body color. At some point '86 or so, the H-5 headlight assembly became the headlight and was DOT approved l(ooks like an H-4) and the trim ring was painted the body color from the factory. Depending on your year may want the H-4 or H-5 headlight assembly to replace your "wide band-sealed beam" assembly. In either case, the head light is far superior to a sealed beam headlight. In my '77 930, I have the H-4's with a PIA lightblubs and used the headlight relay kit and they are almost as good as my Xenon lights on my BMW.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:28 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

'74-86 cars use a wide "door" (headlight door is the terminology for the trim ring around/part of the headlight assembly) painted body color (I think some '74/75 cars had wide doors finished in chrome). The most attractive upgrade is to change to Bosch H-4s, but H4-type sealed beam replacements can also be used. Bosch H4s can have a chrome door, if the car, say a '74, has chrome-like brightwork around the windows. If the car has black trim everywhere door overlays are available and they should be body color. In 1987 the switch was made to H5s, which used a narrow door painted body color. H5s are similar to H4s, but the lens is recessed slightly where it meets the door. Of course, an owner can choose to have chrome doors on a car with black trim, or any of a number of possibilities of color combos - no real "rules" exist.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:33 PM
SvenS
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Hi,

As I understand this;
Wide is US-specification cars (sealed-beam)
Narrow is at least European, probably ROW (H1 or H4 depending on year)
Crome is up to around 1976, of course with some exceptions...
Painted from there

Difference in light - well, whenever we Europeans import a car from the US most of us switch from sealed beam to European headligths.

Sven
Old 11-13-2007, 03:53 PM
myrmidon
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the fast responses.

I didn't realize that the sealed-beam was 'US Only'. (actually its remarkable that Porsche's standard headlamp didn't pass DOT - I wonder why?)

@Peter: I noticed the picture of your book as your Avatar - I guess that a lot of these questions are covered in a lot of detail - so I just ordered a copy from Amazon.

Cheers

Quick Reply: Front Lights (so what is truly original?)