Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Introducing - Ugly Betty (my muffler saga continues)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 08:09 PM
v8_ranch
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Introducing - Ugly Betty (my muffler saga continues)

After cutting into my project muffler again today, and making some modifications (mainly stuffing the end cavity with steel wool), I decided to rename Frankenmuffler... it is now Ugly Betty. It is a lot better then the first trial I think, but I am still not sure. I want opinions on whether it sounds good or bad. Trying to decide if I should go back to the drawing board again.

To recap for those that did not see the original thread, this muffler started out as a spare Carrera Bishoff muffler, I sectioned out about a foot or more, gutted the rest, added some baffling, and now some dampening... The result is a 10lb or less muffler (have not got the new official weight yet) that does not sound too bad. Would definitely be alright for track use, I would think... Here is a youtube video for you to check it out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb7Cpgqt5Qg
Old 11-08-2007, 08:43 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

I think it sounds great. Do you get the pops and burbles on the overrun?
I run the stock H/Es, stock cat, and no muffler with the Fabspeed bypass pipe. I love the sound and when you let off the gas it's even better with all that popping.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:39 PM
spence88mph
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the sound Shane, good work.

I would like the try the mufler bypass, my monty gets the decel gargle but no popping.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:45 AM
BlackPearl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting. I took a stock SC muffler, opened up the right (passenger) side, drilled out a baffle, and added a second stock Porsche outlet pipe ... with chrome tip for looks. It like the sound, the rev's are nice, and with the bypass pipe, it flows nicely. Listen to the in-car video sound. BTW: total cost to "augment" the muffler was about $160.00 from the mechanic.

This is an in-car video at a SD autocross. Note the cast on the right hand.... ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HST-8rqZs_0

Quick Reply: Introducing - Ugly Betty (my muffler saga continues)