Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Painting

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 04:55 PM
Steve Zitelli
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting

I stripped the right door and fender down to bare metal on my grand prix white 76 targa.I'm trying to muster the courage to do the job myself with no experience in painting cars.I have a decent craftsman gun and compressor.The advice I've gotten so far run from don't even try without a booth to I've painted cars in my garage and they came out great,in's all in the wet sainding and compounding after the paint.Any advice would be great,maybe whats the best primer and paint for the novice.I'm trying to do it right the first time without stripping it a second time, wasting time and money.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:08 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Steve: Check with some local body shops and find out if, in your state, there is a requirement for the base coat to be water-based, or if oil based paint is still used (CA has gone to water-based). Are you familiar with how to use black paint (aerosol) in order to reveal high/low spots when block sanding primer? If you do you car at home you need to learn optimum temperature for the paint, it has to be done on a day with no wind, your garage floor has to be wet (dust control), and before application of the color coat all of your masking used during primer application has to be re-done (the tape & paper will have primer dust on it). It's not an easy process, I'm struggling with the same problem regarding my V-dub - should I prep and paint it, or have it done? Talk to a couple of body shops who use urethane enamel, you might be able to pick up some helpful info.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:12 PM
Stevie 77 930
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You did say just the door and fender, right? If you are matching a solid light color (white) , I say go for it, but if its metallic leave it to the pro. As Pete mentioned, a good prep job and masking is key. The quality of the finish is directly correlated to amount of time prepping the car. Pete, as far as the VW goes, I say prep it and let someone else paint it. Just imagine the finish Brace's can put on that Bug...
Old 11-12-2007, 01:20 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Stevie: You're absolutely right, I have talked to Brace and he will be pleased to apply the paint! I know that something like this can be done at home, but to get the desired finish might not be possible without the help of an expert.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:18 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Steve

Is your garage heated? Its gett'n kinda cold in Jersey to be painting in a garage.

Quick Reply: Painting