Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Any reason not to want a Targa? ...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 04:17 PM
Luus
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta get in on this one. I LOVE my targa. I think the targa is beautiful and unique. Mine has never leaked, squeaked or rattled. yes there is some wind noise but big deal. You are either a top off kind of guy or not. If you are, buy a really nice one, you won;t regret it
Old 11-08-2007, 04:52 PM
LUCKe27
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wwest
If we want to talk about ugly then there is NOTHING uglier than a 911 cab, ANY 911 cab, with the top up.

My first Porsche was(is) a 1978 911 SC Targa. I still have it and it sits in the garage awaiting my grandaughter's drivers licensing.

Over the intervening years I have bought two more Targas, TRUE Targas, not those "glass" thingies.

I'm still not absolutely sure my '01 C4 isn't going to be converted to T-tops this winter.
Help a brutha out ... what is a true Targa and what is a "glass thingie"?
Old 11-08-2007, 05:11 PM
LUCKe27
Racer

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
If possible, shoot some more photos our way. The ride height in your pic looks odd, but probably because someone lowered the front slightly, and didn't do the rear...
Here's another picture from a better angle ... I'm no expert, but it does look like the front is slightly lower than the back:

Old 11-08-2007, 05:19 PM
jonnyw
Advanced

Lucky27

I had owned a Targa from 1992 until October this year. Early Targa's are much more prone to leakage, like mine was. However I have quite a few friends with SC and later Targa's that are very dry. Alot of people just pass on bad information on a leaky targa, but inside they really like them. They just use that as an excuse. There's nothing quite like an Roof off Targa on a summer day. I loved my leaky 73 Targa so I just never put the top on. It was only a summer sunny day car. However I have since purchased a 82 SC Sunroof Coupe that I am using as an every day driver. I love the feel of the coupe, and when Im driving it with the sunroof open I rarely miss the Targa. That being said it is a tough call.

Your going to get an excellent value with a Targa and you probably can't go wrong. Besides in the long term I think Targa's will be worth more than coupes.

Don't forget they don't all leak and from the looks of the car you are looking to buy I would almost bet on a dry experience. Go For It! You will love every minute of it!

JW
Old 11-08-2007, 06:12 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yep, that's what was done. Somebody lowered the front and left the rear stock height. That always gives a 911 a somewhat odd appearance...
Old 11-09-2007, 11:53 AM
JBO
Instructor

Usage is key. If it's a daily driver, coupe would probably be the better choice. My Targa is an extra weekend car, and it is perfect for my use, and I'd never trade it for a coupe. During nice weather, the top stays off for weeks at time! Based on the constant comments and "thumbs up" I get every time I drive it, obviously it's not ugly to the vast majority of the population!
Old 11-10-2007, 01:39 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

I've owned my Targa 23 years. There is wind noise but I keep the top off most of the time when I use it anyway so noise is expected. Bottom line is a Targa is great car. Nothing like open air motoring but the hard rear glass gives you much of the feel of a coupe; at least moreso than a cab. Not only that, I haven't detected that much flex and I've done autocrosses and high speed DE's with it. I read more about 993 coupes where the windows creak from flexing. My 79SC does not and has never creaked.

But you asked for a reason not to buy one. How about the fact that a new Targa top costs more than many SC's and some Carreras are worth.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg1.htm#item0

Actually, I don't know of anyone that has or would for that matter buy a new one. We just recover them when needed. I just find it hard to believe a new top runs $11k to $15k. I had to fix mine once when my wife forgot to latch the front down. It flew off like a frisbee in a major intersection. The only damage was one of the rear guide pins broke off. I just put another in and it was good as new. That was about 10 years ago and my wife hasn't asked to drive the targa since.

One last piece of advice. Check the rubber seals where the top fastens to the body. The targa has significantly more rubber pieces than the other 911 models. These seals are expensive if you have to replace them all. The good news is I've never had to replace a seal, but you should inspect them carefully when buying a Targa.

Quick Reply: Any reason not to want a Targa? ...