Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Any reason not to want a Targa? ...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 07:01 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Pete you are always right, so do 15's limit the choices for tires or is it not a big deal for street use? I don't think I say a single set of 15's on all the cars I liiked at. 15's are the "standard" equipment and the 16's are the upcharge that almost everyone went with, right?
Old 11-07-2007, 07:33 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If my memory serves me, the standard wheel was the "Phone Dial," in 6x15F/7x15R sizes. 7/8x15 factory alloys were an extremely popular option in Europe (worse roads than ours?), but they were hardly ever ordered in the U.S. Of the large number of 3.2 Carreras we took care of, only a handful were fitted with the 15" alloys, about equal in number to the cars with Phone Dials. Tire selection is limited, but Tire Rack probably has a fairly good selection of cruiser/commuter tires for the alloys.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:30 PM
JRRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by douglas bray
Pete you are always right, so do 15's limit the choices for tires or is it not a big deal for street use? I don't think I say a single set of 15's on all the cars I liiked at. 15's are the "standard" equipment and the 16's are the upcharge that almost everyone went with, right?
Just for the record, not to take anything away from Pete, however, I did say that they were 15's first..
Old 11-07-2007, 09:10 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Old 11-08-2007, 12:05 AM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lfe132
If you are gonna autocross buy a coupe.
Yeah, don't ever AX a Targa!

NOT!

If you love open air motoring buy a Cab or Targa. For myself, Targa was the only car to buy.
A sportscar SHOULD allow you to see the sky ....

My Targa ('84 Carrera) leaked a bit in the rain but believe it or not it was mostly coming from a bad windshield seal. I recently rebuilt my top also replacing my top window seal and the last rain we had not one drop got into the car. Just replace the bad seals and all should be fine. Look at it this way (and somebody correct me if I'm wrong because I never bought one of these cars new..) I don't think Porsche would sell a car, even back in '84, knowing it leaks when it rains. I'm sure when bad seals are replace and things fit properly leaks are non existant, mine is.
My '73 appears to have the original top. No leaks, just some wind noise.

As far as resale value, I didn't buy the car to make a profit, I bought it to drive and enjoy. IF a profit comes into play later all the better.
Happy motoring.
I would suspect as these cars become good weather/weekend toys, the values of Targas will pass those of Coupes. Take a look at the history of 356 cabs to get the idea.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:21 AM
lfe132
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harry, touche. You are a man after my own heart. Love the AX pic!
Old 11-08-2007, 12:40 AM
craiglwakefield
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Targa thread

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=170660
Old 11-08-2007, 02:13 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

sorry JRoss, I must have been on the same crack as Oshin's fuel pump. The picture of that targa reminds me why we never saw baja bugs with the roofs cut off. It would have been taco tuesday every day. I still see the $8,000 '88 targa in Moreno Valley for sale. could be fun
Old 11-08-2007, 07:50 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Hot Rod Targa Thread

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...=hot+rod+targa

John
Old 11-08-2007, 10:02 AM
kcpaz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see nothing wrong with a Targa..... OTHER THAN THE FACT THAT THEY ARE UGLY! Of course this is just my opinion, but I think the 911 is famous for it's sloping roof line and the Targa missis it completely. It looks like a hunch-back to me. I would rather have a Cab if open air was the goal. Again, this is just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions....
Old 11-08-2007, 12:58 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Originally Posted by kcpaz
I see nothing wrong with a Targa..... OTHER THAN THE FACT THAT THEY ARE UGLY! Of course this is just my opinion, but I think the 911 is famous for it's sloping roof line and the Targa missis it completely. It looks like a hunch-back to me. I would rather have a Cab if open air was the goal. Again, this is just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions....
To each his own.

There are some owners who love huge 20" aftermarket chrome rims on their Porsche's/SUV's etc...

John
Old 11-08-2007, 01:33 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

20"? How about the 26" inch chrome wheels (I saw these on a Hummer a few days ago) with pseudo bolt heads all over the place, jagged, lightning-bolt lookin' spokes, with about a 4" deep look. Too think that somebody built those, and somebody else came along and spent a few thousand dollars for them. Sheeeesh...

Targas wake up emotion, I think they're kind of a love/hate deal, few people are neutral about them. They are best used in fair weather, the top-on wind noise bothers me but not my wife, but with the top off they are really fun. That said, a Targa in Bakersfield wouldn't make any sense, our summer (often longer than 5 months) day/evening temps are so high that top-off driving is unpleasant, and the sun will destroy the top material if the car is used daily. Winter here is much better for a Targa, we only get about 3-5" rain a year, and our average daytime temp is about 60-65 degrees. Tops/seals are expensive, so the saying, "Buy the best one that you can find," was never more true.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:44 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What I didn't like about my Targa (since you're looking for reasons not to buy):
Ugly. Or at least "not as pretty as the coupe".
Noises. Lots of them. Wind. Squeaks. Creaks. And right along with that...
Flex. You'll feel it. But you'll get used to it.
Foot room. I ended up pulling the "center console" to help me with foot / leg room. I wear a size 11 shoe and am just a tick under six feet. (..you'll never get me to admit my weight! )

What I did like about my Targa (because I did like my Targa):
Only one thing, really....being behind the wheel! Nothing...and I mean nothing...beats an open air Porsche on a beautiful, sunny, mid seventy degree day. The Targa looks like any other 911 from the inside...so who cares if it's "ugly" from the outside? With the roof out, you don't hear any creaks and groans...they're drowned out by the flat six motor and wind in your hair. Even the flex seems to magically go away (ok, you just don't really notice it) when the roof is out and the windows are down.

I guess I'm with most people on the subject...it depends on what you want to do with your car. More than likely, you'll enjoy a Targa just fine. I found too few perfect days to drive mine, so I sold it. But that doesn't mean I won't be in a position again sometime in my life where I wouldn't get one again.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:47 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

If we want to talk about ugly then there is NOTHING uglier than a 911 cab, ANY 911 cab, with the top up.

My first Porsche was(is) a 1978 911 SC Targa. I still have it and it sits in the garage awaiting my grandaughter's drivers licensing.

Over the intervening years I have bought two more Targas, TRUE Targas, not those "glass" thingies.

I'm still not absolutely sure my '01 C4 isn't going to be converted to T-tops this winter.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:09 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

The Targa provides more head room for driver & passanger and a little more room in the back for children or Dwarfs/Gnomes.

I was able to fit a file cabinet in the Targa (P/S seat removed), no-go with the coupe

John

Quick Reply: Any reason not to want a Targa? ...