Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Resurrecting a 1976 911S

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2003, 07:22 PM
RC
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Resurrecting a 1976 911S

Well it seems as if the Porsche Gods have smiled upon me. Or have they?? After two years of wanting a 911 and trying to save up for one only to have the dream crushed by more important financial considerations, I am finally a 911 owner. The only problem, it's a 76 911S that has been sitting in a garage for the last 8 years. Go figure. It belonged to a family member who decided to pass it on to me for nothing, as he had lost interest in it a long time ago.

Basically, the car is in need of a great deal of TLC. 2nd gear doesn't engage and there is a dent in the front left bumper and panel, that will definitely need attention. Not to mention the damage done to the fuel system, brakes, and whatever else due to the long storage. By the way, no stabilizer or anything like that was done for the long sleep.

What am I in for here? According to the porsche mechanic who last saw the car before its hibernation, the engine was in great shape, at least another 50,000 or so miles still in her.

I'd like to hear what everybody thinks about this. Costs for rebuilding if necessary, and problems and solutions already tackeled by other people with a need for frustration. Thanks. You can bet that I will keep everyone posted on the progress.
Old 02-17-2003, 09:24 PM
Porschephanatic
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Congratulations! It may not be as hopeless as it seems. I assume then that you need to clean the entire fuel system, change oil/filter, gear lube, brake fluid, etc. Your master/wheel cylinders may just need flushed out. If it was in dry storage, the exhaust, gauges, and other components affected by condensation may be alright. I read on a similar thread yhat the fuel tank should be proffessionally cleaned, especially since you have sensitive fuel injection. My uncle's '49 Ford F-3 sat 20+ yrs, and we got it going again. The sound of that flat six will inspire you much as the sound of that old flathead V-8 did me.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:36 AM
l33t9eek
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another thing to watch out for is mice.. I had a huge mmouse nest on top of my cylinders when I bought mine. It had sat for 2 years out in the open (under a tarp) Shine a flashlight through the fan and look for leaves and various bits of nesting.

I don't think I'd trust 8 year old tires either.
Old 04-19-2003, 02:55 AM
hotshoe911
Addict
Rennlist Member

RC, Congrats on the "new" 911s!!! I've had a '76 911s for the past, ohhhh, .... 15years, maybe and love it. The main issue with this model is the head studs, or their replacement. They break.

As the others have said, a total flush of all liquids is a must. Many of the rubber parts may be oxidized after sitting for so long, and should be checked.

Take your time and get to know her, love will follow shortly.
Old 04-19-2003, 09:54 AM
Rouxzy
Advanced

RC, Great news. I too received my first 911 a few years ago. Don't believe everything (negatives)they say about the 2.7's. Yeah there are some upgrades that do need to be done but I've yet to see a 911 engine that didn't. In any case mine sat for a while also. Replace ALL fluids, including the gas. Put fresh fuel in with a bottle of Techron and that'll help clean out alot of what could be in there. Seals and bushings will be dried or worn so keep an eye on those and replace as necessary. Also check your tires for dry rot. There is also a way to see if your tires are outdated as far as age. The TireRack can tell you with the numbers on the tires. Old tires may look good on the outside but after a while the interior parts will fail and you won't know it until its too late. Most of all, drive it then drive it and when you're done drive it some more. Congrats.
Tom
Old 04-19-2003, 10:48 AM
jlkline
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Be sure to have a look at and under the battery compartment. A leaky or spilled battery will corrode the sheet metal front pan and battery tray requiring replacement. Its kinda $$ for the labor to have this done if you are unable to do it yourself.

Fuel varnish will be a problem as cited in the other posts. The injectors may be fouled as well. Sometimes they can be cleaned, but usually the best fix is replacement to ensure the proper spray pattern.

You didn't mention mileage or geography, both of which can play a role in the life of the 2.7. Also, check to see if any type of working oil cooling is installed in the front pass. wheel well.....this could be just the "trombone loop, or a radiator style device.

If you find a significant problem with the motor, like broken studs, do some 2.7 research, get some expert opinions, and seriously consider upgrading to a 3.0 or 3.2. Since you're into the car at the right price :-) perfoming this expensive, but well worth it upgrade would be a great investment without being "upside down" in the value vs equity equation. It will minimize future time/cost spent in the engine compartment and keep the oil puddles off the garage floor.

As a former owner of 2 2.7's,that's my $.02 on the subject.

Keeping mind that if you are mechanically inclined,you can to a lot of the mechanical and restoration work, avoiding the $75.00/hr shop rates for qualified p-wrenches.

Quick Reply: Resurrecting a 1976 911S