Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Whale tail conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 08:33 AM
GM1
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whale tail conversion?

I am relatively new to the porsche world, and have an 86 911 and would like to remove the whale tail from the engine lid, is it a case of just removing the spoiler, filling the holes, respraying and putting a grill in position. If so is the grill hole the same size on a spoilered engine lid as a non-spoilered. Any advice would be appriciated.

Gary
Old 11-05-2007, 09:45 AM
kcpaz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just buy an engine lid off of an SC and paint it to match. It will be so much easier than trying to fill the holes in the stock one. Plus you can sell your Carerra tail or hold onto it incase you decide to put it back on or sell the car.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:06 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Exactly. Rather than bugger my original black non-tail decklid, I purchased a complete black one with the Carrera Tail from an '87, with CHMSL (which interstingly was a different CHMSL than the non-tail one), and bolted it on. My original one's Wall Art now.

Remember if you have the Chin Spoiler, handling will be different with Chin Only vs. Chin w/ Tail.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:20 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by GM1
I am relatively new to the porsche world, and have an 86 911 and would like to remove the whale tail from the engine lid...
What color, and where are you located? I'm looking for an Alpine White tail/lid for my car...and would trade my non-tail lid...as long as the donor is in great shape.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:24 PM
BlackPearl
Racer

Originally Posted by kcpaz
just buy an engine lid off of an SC and paint it to match. It will be so much easier than trying to fill the holes in the stock one. Plus you can sell your Carerra tail or hold onto it incase you decide to put it back on or sell the car.
+1. Much easier to Remove and Replace (R&R) the entire "decklid." For places to find an OEM decklid, check with the local shops ... especially "tuner" shops ... for a rear OEM decklid. Often, the tuners put fiberglass (or other exotic materials) decklids with spoilers on the tuner cars and toss/re-sell the OEM decklid on the cheap (too many parts lying around the shop). You might even find one that color-matches.

Good luck.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:59 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

I would like to trade my OEM for a whale tail as well, even if the colors didnt match.....mine is granite green metallic.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:26 PM
GM1
3rd Gear

Default Whale tail conversion?

Thanks for your thoughts chaps, and i totally agree with you all about keeping the original engine lid. The point is i live in the UK and have been trying to find one for the last few months without much success. I would love to do a swap but logistics may be an issue. I am having some paint work done on the car at the moment and just wondered if its worth converting the engine lid while it's in the paint shop.

Regards,
G
Old 11-06-2007, 04:40 PM
PeterRT
Intermediate

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Porsche-911-sc...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 11-06-2007, 11:07 PM
Naplesguy06
Racer

Damn I just did the opposite. I have an 86 targa and I thought it looked incomplete without the turbo tail. I bought an extra deckild from german auto dismantlers/ebay and stored my original one in a bubble wrap bag in case someone like you wanted to buy my car in the future and did not like the tail,I love the look of the whaletail, its icon for the 80's
Old 11-07-2007, 03:33 AM
GM1
3rd Gear

Your a star sir. Thanks for the link.

Quick Reply: Whale tail conversion?