911 Headlight Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 04:30 PM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by justinsrx7
Thanks so much Harry. What a thorough and useful post you provided. I have already looked up the link you sent me on the light fix and am going to do that tonight. The guy in that post seems to have removed the steering wheel, but I am hoping I can do it with out removing it. I am also looking forward to seeing how much oil I have :-).
You and I were typing at the same time. See my post above. You will need a 27 mm socket to remove the nut holding the wheel in place. DO NOT USE THE STEERING LOCK to hold the wheel while you loosen the nut. It can be a $500 mistake.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:42 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryD
You and I were typing at the same time. See my post above. You will need a 27 mm socket to remove the nut holding the wheel in place. DO NOT USE THE STEERING LOCK to hold the wheel while you loosen the nut. It can be a $500 mistake.
The last time I took a steering wheel off, it was on my old Mazda when I replaced it with a Momo in 1988. All I remember is that it was a hell of a struggle to get it loose after I got the nut off.

On the Porsche, how do I remove the center horn cover to get to the nut. Also, do I need to do this for sure, or are you only suggesting I might as your car had the extra 4 screws under the steering wheel.

Finally, when you say don't use the steering wheel lock, do you mean don't turn the steering wheel until it locks and then try to remove the bolt as it will put enough stress on the lock to break it?
Old 11-05-2007, 04:45 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by douglas bray
Harry that is a fantastic post. the only thing we are missing is the fog light switch. It's over above the radio and should have a green headlight on it. Good luck and tell us more....
I do have a green **** above the radio so I will give it a try. It looks like a horizontal zig zag line so I thought it might be a rear defrost left over from the Targa days. DO the headlights have to be on in order for the fogs to come on or are the independent?
Old 11-05-2007, 05:25 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,121 Likes on 802 Posts

yep .... don't force the nut off against the steering lock , use a burly man ( or woman ) to hold the wheel while you use a breaker bar and your socket. also when loosening do it from outside the car pushing down , ( windsheilds are expensive when the nut comes loose )

The green **** is your fogs. Not sure how they work , don'r have em.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:42 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I believe you can do fogs and running lights and you don't have to have th eheadlights on. You do have to pull the headlight **** out one click. Have you discovered the "London Fog" parking lights yet? when the car is off and every thing is shut down, turn your left or right blinker on. It is a single side parking marker for narrow streets. Don't leave your blinkers on when you shut off the car. Is that cool or what?
Old 11-05-2007, 09:23 PM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The last time I took a steering wheel off, it was on my old Mazda when I replaced it with a Momo in 1988. All I remember is that it was a hell of a struggle to get it loose after I got the nut off.

On the Porsche, how do I remove the center horn cover to get to the nut. Also, do I need to do this for sure, or are you only suggesting I might as your car had the extra 4 screws under the steering wheel.

Finally, when you say don't use the steering wheel lock, do you mean don't turn the steering wheel until it locks and then try to remove the bolt as it will put enough stress on the lock to break it?

Do a search here or at the Pelican BBS to verify but I think you need to carefully pry the horn cover off of the wheel (My '73 has a different method of attachment). This thread may be helpful: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...+wheel+removal

Once you get the horn cover off, the nut will be in plain sight. Use a Deep socket to reach it. As noted above have some one hold hte wheel or use something likehte the Club to hold the wheel steady while you loosen the nut. Check this thread for more info: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...+wheel+removal.

Once the nut and hte wavey washer is off, you can, usually, wiggle the wheel to get it off. There you will see the horn contact ring and below it the switch. Check this thread for help:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...switch+removal.

There is also good information about this in the Bentley and 101 Projects books.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:49 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The guy in that post seems to have removed the steering wheel, but I am hoping I can do it with out removing it. I am also looking forward to seeing how much oil I have :-).
I did this turn signal switch repair on my '84 and had to remove the steering wheel. It's an easy repair. They can fail pretty quickly once they go...

Also, you can learn to use the oil tank level gauge too after you get used to the car a bit to watch your oil level closer (like on a daily or weekly basis). I always rely on the dipstick, but know what my tank level gauge is telling me as well.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:44 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

the first time I saw the title of this thread I thought that Janet Jackson had purchased a Porsche
Old 11-11-2007, 08:13 PM
JScott
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read nearly every thread on this subject and for some reason I haven't had any good info/pics of anyone removing the headlight switch. I have an '87 3.2 coupe and I just replaced the switch and plugged everything into what I thought was the right place. Here's a list of what's going on:
Working:
-parking lights
-turn signals
-high beam flash
Not working:
-constant low beams
-constant high beams

Anyone have info on removing the headlight switch from behind the ****? I twisted the **** and couldn't unscrew that and remove the switch. Also, if anyone has the schematics I would be delighted to see what plugs in where. I've been looking for service manuals and can't find them anywhere here in Vancouver.

Thanks
Old 11-11-2007, 08:52 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

You can pick up a bentley Book at www.automotion.com

It covers the entire electrical schematc of the car....and everything else
Old 11-11-2007, 09:04 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

JScott, you have a PM
Old 11-12-2007, 04:30 PM
JScott
Track Day

Thanks Doug, I'll chat with you tomorrow.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:50 PM
JScott
Track Day

I think I figured out how to fix it without any headaches.... By taking it to a shop.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:02 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

I think we could use the scematic in the book and wire colors to plot out the fix. I think you just reversed two wires and could fix it in a fiew minutes. I've got the book right here when the phone rings....
Old 11-18-2007, 12:46 AM
JScott
Track Day

Sorry, I meant I already got it fixed. I had to take the car in anyways for some work this week so they just fixed it for me.

Still going to grab that book though and I appreciate all your help.

Quick Reply: 911 Headlight Malfunction