Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Remedy for sqeaky targa top?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2001, 08:57 AM
epr
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Remedy for sqeaky targa top?

With top on, my 90 c4 targa creaks and groans. With top off, it is rattle free.
Top and rubber are in excellent condition.
Is there a fix?
Old 08-13-2001, 09:33 AM
R22tech
Advanced

Any idea where the noise is coming from? There are numerous adjustments that can be made on the top itself. Let us know where you think it is coming from and we'll try and suggest a remedy.
Old 08-13-2001, 10:12 AM
0pastor
7th Gear

I have a 1992 C4 Targa, which is in excellent condition. My top fits very tightly, but it could creak a bit at low speeds over bumps and things like that.

I am not a 'top surgeon', and know nothing about adjustments, but I put a smear of WD40 on the front and the back of the car, where the targa vinyl covering touches the paintwork, and the car is now as quiet as a coupe (until you reach 90-100mph that is)
Old 08-13-2001, 04:46 PM
Thom Fitzpatrick
Racer

Take a dowel or old hockey stick, and make yourself a center support to go between the two 'splits' fore and aft in the top, where it folds.

Make the piece long enough so it's a very snug fit - otherwise it will fall out. Cover the ends with electrical tape or some such so as not to mar the vinyl.

These are available retail for $150 or so from catalog shops.
Old 08-15-2001, 02:04 AM
daberger
Track Day

Originally posted by epr:
<STRONG>With top on, my 90 c4 targa creaks and groans. With top off, it is rattle free.
Top and rubber are in excellent condition.
Is there a fix?</STRONG>
I have a 88 Targa and a very similar problem. The roof squeaks whenever the car goes over the slightest bump. Through trial and error I have narrowed the source of the squeak to be the rear rail of the roof. If I grab hold of this, the squeak goes away - or subsides. Armed with this knowledge, I am unsure what to do. Any help would be appreciated. I should add that this car is new to me, and that the previous owner told me that he had had the roof re-trimmed. I wonder if that explains anything? Also, I have the most appalling wind noise at speeds above 40 mph, so I suspect a poor re-trim is to blame. If anyone had a recommendation of a Taga roof expert in the Los Angeles area, I would be much obliged.
Old 08-15-2001, 10:45 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi daberger,

When you say you have appalling wind noise, would that be coming from the roof or the window seals? Hopefully, it's not coming from the roof.

If the previous owner had the top recovered by a "generic" upholstery shop, it probably wasn't done right, and the vinyl on the roof will resonate like crazy. It gets worse the faster you drive, and at about 100 mph it sounds like Niagara Falls is landing on your roof.

If you find a targa-top expert in the LA area, please let me know . I'm only aware of two bona fide targa-top experts: Dave Brown (may still advertise in Excellence) and Dan Petchel (advertises in Excellence). I've used Dan in the past. Quite the targa-top expert, and does great work.

Dan's web-site, which includes a FAQ section:
http://www.carsinc-nj.com/
Old 08-15-2001, 11:45 AM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dan Petchel (Cars, Inc.) is in my PCA Region. He is very knowledgeable and helpful when it comes to Targa tops. His direct number is 609-298-2277. Give him a call, I'm sure he can help with your squeaky top.

Bruce
Old 08-16-2001, 01:02 PM
Thom Fitzpatrick
Racer

Before you send Dan your next few paychecks, try the center support piece first! Trust me on this one...
Old 08-16-2001, 01:22 PM
George 86T
Advanced

My 86 Targa top is quiet as a coupe---NOW! I found that lubrication is the answer. I use silicon grease on the rear pegs and the front and rear rubber seals. Works like a charm. Give it a try--

Quick Reply: Remedy for sqeaky targa top?