Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Buy a 944 as a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 09:08 AM
CT944
Drifting

Received 158 Likes on 111 Posts

i had a 944 that i drove 80 miles a day for over a year. they are cheap, reliable and great on gas. relatively easy to work on. try to spend around $4k to get one in good shape. go for it.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:37 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

I should have read the addtional replies posted on this thread, ya'll now have gotten me to look into a 951

John
Old 10-27-2007, 01:00 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Oshin everyone who has posted here so far is right on. If your can find a decent one with records, go for it. 944s are fun, practical cars. But make sure that you can do much of the work yourself, because as much as I love em, it doesn't make much financial sense from the owner's standpoint to pay guys like me to do all the work since they are only worth a few grand tops. If you buy a nice S2 or Turbo, that may be a different story. I just bought an '86 951 a couple months ago and I love it. We also may be getting a free or close-to-free '85.5 NA from a customer to mount another assault on the 24 Hours of Lemons in December . . . .

If you do buy one, like everyone here said, make sure you do a timing belt right away, or at least there are records that a reputable shop has done one recently. The clutch is a big job on those, and believe it or not there are still some 944s running around w/ the infamous rubber-centered clutch that likes to blow up. Also, these cars are getting old enough to where the wiring is getting brittle, vacuum lines/other rubber is hard and cracked, etc. Also since the engine is a pretty big, unbalanced 4, you need to mind the balance shaft belt tension/orientation and make sure the motor mounts are good. Regardless, stuff likes to get shaken loose over the years so 944s can be pretty creaky cars in general.

If I were you I would drive a few and see what you think, the 146 hp NA is a bit underpowered perhaps by today's standards but is still torquey and fun, the 16V 944S of '87-88 is more of a top end car but unique and fun (but you have the cam chain tensioner/guide to watch for as well as the timing belt: same goes for S2 and 968). If you have a bit more money, the S2 is a great car, but relatively rare. The 951 is awesome, but is a bit more expensive to maintain due to it being a turbo car, vacuum/boost leaks and other little problems tend to pop up. Also, the fact that it is relatively easy to get more HP out of those engines make it one of those "slippery slope" cars. . . .

Did you test drive that one 993?
Old 10-27-2007, 01:10 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Chris,

I went to test drive it but as soon as I stepped out of my 911 I smelled burning oil. At first I thought it was my 911 but nope, it was the 993 engine. I poked around and looked in the engine bay with a light. Frankly, my fears were dead on, I think that car will need a top end very soon. I saw a lot of problems and as you estimated it needed about 6K of work. 25K USD for a 993 that was that underdriven, leaky, and in need of that many repairs is just not worth it in my book. Just by talking to them and looking at the car I could tell that they hadn't driven the car the way it should have been, which can turn into real horror stories. I think they said something along the lines of "we haven't had any problems with the car, just regular tune ups". It's no surprise the they are running on metal tread, have tons of problematic parts, and a leaky engine. They left all the problems to pass onto someone else, which they were honest enough to admit. Chris PM me with your email I'll send you some photos of a 993 I am interested in.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:08 PM
greenshoes3
Pro

I had a 944S that I sold for no loss of money. Bought it for $4200, did the regular timing belt and other fun stuff, sold it for $4400. DO NOT BUY ONE WITH A BAD CLUTCH UNLESS THE PRICE IS WELL ADJUSTED FOR IT. They can run $2,000 for a clutch.

Try to find a decent one with a 16 valve engine. They are actually considered peppy and put you in the 6 second 0-60 range, and will not come with the added costs of the 944 turbo.

Very reliable car, I wish I haden't sold mine, I want it back!
Old 10-27-2007, 12:15 PM
pcutt
Burning Brakes

I have an '86 N/A for my DD, in fact, it's my only car. I agree with advice give above, but would want to know your rationale for buying one before I could give any additional advice that would be meaningful.

Would you be replacing your 911? Using it as a DD? As your only car? Local trips or long distance? Hauling stuff like bikes and guitars? Parking in iffy locations? Inquiring minds want to know!

Quick Reply: Buy a 944 as a daily driver?