Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Oil Leak help - near where camshaft meets chain tensioner -

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2003 | 04:31 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Angry Oil Leak help - near where camshaft meets chain tensioner -

O.K. - I recently did a valve adjustment, replaced the fuel filter, installed a euro cat pipe, changed the oil, adjusted the alt belt, etc. After this I did some driving and some G-Tech HP runs as I was planning on installing a MAF kit and wanted to check HP increase. Everything was fine, nice little HP bump from the Euro cat pipe and no leaks (valve covers looked good) - car ran great!

So I went to work on the MAF install which had the car on jack stands for a few weeks. I had to idle the car quite a bit to tune the MAF and during this process I noticed a pretty good leak near the rear of he tlower valve covers on both sides. After cleaning the areas good and watching the oil drip, it appears to be coming from between where the chain tensioner housing meets the camshaft. In fact, I would guess it is right at that point. I have read that there is an O ring in there so perhaps that has gone bad?

The odd thing is both sides are leaking in the exact same spot. Is there anything I could have done to cause this (alt belt too tight, G-tech runs to redline blowing our gaskets?). It makes little sense that I had no leaks before and now it is leaking on both sides in the same spot. Any advice?

Quick Reply: Oil Leak help - near where camshaft meets chain tensioner -