Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Collectibility of 3.0 SC or 3.2 Carrera vs E30 M3?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 11:11 PM
gmonsen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw Vlad post something and thought I'd join in. I bought a new e30 m3 in 88 and someone un-named totaled it. I currently have more of a grand touring version than Vlad's beautiful track tribute. I also have a 74 base 911 with some modest upgrades. I recently sold my 94 3.6 turbo, btw.

The earlier 911's and the e30 m3 are closer in handling DNA and especially steering and front end feel than any other cars I know. I personally think they are the 2 all-time best in these regards. And its because they are really so similar. Both have macphearson struts, similar rack and pinion systems, weigh 2400-2700-ish, have 2.5 and in my case 2.7 engines, black drivers oriented functional interiors...

So, as far as comparing them in those ways, they are among the most similar cars ever made. Both are rightly for those characteristics mentioned considered still among the best handling cars ever still today.

As far as collectibility, the M3 should be the hands down winner in 5-10 years with prices for number 1 condition cars currently around $25,000 and moving up strongly. There are just so few survivors; really clean lower mile cars. My 74 911 has 55k and my 91 m3 has 47k. There are just not a lot of straight cars left. At Oktoberfest there were maybe 40+ largely 1 cond m3's. There may be several hundred, but I'm pretty sure there are not 1000. So, the m3 has the handling and pedigree and rarity and and true limited edition status. Plus, its a car that is still a really great drive that is not atched by any m3 since to current. Pricing on m3's has been moving up very strongly for the past 3 years leading up to its 20th anniversary. There should have been som e of that effect where the magazines all report how great the m3 was and still is and it raises the interest at least termporarily. So, while I do not expect prices to continue rising at the same pace, I expect them to be at least twice inflation or CPI. So, if a clean m3 with less than 75k miles in #1 condition is worth $22500-25000 today, then its ~$27500-30,000 in 5 years.

The 911 SC is a pleasure to drive, has most of the lighter cars' steering, more luxury, more power, and are priced I think just a bit lower than the e30 m3 on a like-for-like-condition basis. But the current pricing on the 911 does not show the same buoyancy as the m3. Its more of a really inexpensive way to enjoy a fairly current and fast 911. Kept up price is likely to stay or move up with the CPI, in my opinion. So, and I am less certain on SC era cars than the m3's, if the like condition 911 is worth 18-20,000 today I think they are likely to be ~$19-21,000 on the same 5 years.

I think, however, that there may be a kick somewhere potentially significant for the m3.

Gordon
Old 08-30-2022, 11:28 PM
Combat911
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2021 Wins Again

Originally Posted by Trader220
I’ve owned both cars so here is my 2 cents. First thought is that although the e30 M3 sticker'd for 36 ish, you could buy them big discounts to the sticker price as many were on lots when I bought mine. I paid 27.5 brand new from Braman in West Palm Beach and drove it back north. The only issues I had with my m3 were the constant warping of front rotors, other then that I never had any issue that was not related to normal ware. The 1990 and 91’s also had airbags if that appeals to you. I’ve also owned a large number of 911’s all over the spectrum of years but all air cooled. I found the M3 to be more practical, in that I could easily fit 2 golf bags in the truck and even 4 people if I had to. The flip side was my personal grin factor was always greater in any of the 911’s.

It’s a tough choice since I really enjoyed the m3 and the 911’s. The other point is that neither of those cars are going to be good investments or will go up significantly in value. Yes, you may be able to own and operate one at a very cheap overall cost when all is said and done and the car is sold, but if you believe you’re going to make money or beat inflation with it I think you’re mistaken. In the end they are both “toys” which to a certain degree can be used for some daily commute or sporting and done at a very reasonable cost.
This comment aged so poorly I'm laughing my a*$ off almost 20 years later. This is textbook don't listen to folks on the internet material right here.
The following users liked this post:
LaughaC (08-31-2022)
Old 08-30-2022, 11:39 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Combat911
This comment aged so poorly I'm laughing my a*$ off almost 20 years later. This is textbook don't listen to folks on the internet material right here.
Really? How old is that comment? I'll bet you dollars to donuts that even with the current market downturn that none of those cars was as good an investment as the S&P 500 and don't forget to include your insurance, maintenance and that you cant drive them much as an "investment".... So sure a rare version of the 964 (which was not mentioned) or a 3.2 Club Sport, or some other uber rare model may have out performed the market. The run of the mill SC, Carrera or e30 M3 may have doubled in value but didn't keep up with the market. If you bought a smaller basket of widely held stocks, like AAPL, MSFT, AMZN and GOOG instead of the S&P you could be buying one of each for the same investment return of any single of the three.

The quote stands up very well, even in this down market. Cars in general are a poor investment.

The S&P500 was about 1500 in Oct 2007
AMZN was about 4.5 bucks (split adjusted)
MSFT was about 30 bucks (split adjusted)
AAPL was about 6 bucks (split adjusted)
GOOGL Class A was about 16 bucks (split adjusted)

Look em up, and see how that basket of the most widely held stocks have done compared to any of the cars mentioned.

Guess I pissed you off somewhere so much that you joined just to make that comment LOL Hysterical that you dug up a 15 year old thread to take a cheap shot and as it turns out the point you tried to make is is not just wrong, its wrong by a huge margin ! Now that's funny.

Priceless, you made my night. Thanks for the laugh!

Last edited by Trader220; 08-30-2022 at 11:55 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Trader220:
alfetta (08-31-2022), kcsf (10-11-2022), oldskewel (08-31-2022)
Old 08-31-2022, 02:53 PM
josephvman
Racer

Received 250 Likes on 129 Posts

It might be heresy, but I owned an E30 M3 "back in the day", and ended up replacing it with a Daytona Violet '95 E36 M3. Back then I thought the E36 was a better car in absolutely every way, if not necessarily as special. Today I'd love to have either of them back (or better yet both!) but they led into a string of Carrera 3.2's and 930's and my love for 911's. I think a euro or Canadian market E36 M3 is the hot ticket and even with today's pricing a better value than an E30 M3. I admit I still have to fight the itch to bid on E30 M3's when I see a nice one on BaT, and have been in the running on a couple up to the end when the numbers got crazy. Now I'm eyeing E28 M5's, which haven't gone stratospheric just yet but likely will.

How about RS America v. E30 M3? Great examples seem to be comparable money, but I have to think E30 M3's may have peaked, and really nice RSA's might keep going.

Last edited by josephvman; 08-31-2022 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-31-2022, 05:25 PM
Combat911
4th Gear

Really? How old is that comment? I'll bet you dollars to donuts that even with the current market downturn that none of those cars was as good an investment as the S&P 500 and don't forget to include your insurance, maintenance and that you cant drive them much as an "investment".... So sure a rare version of the 964 (which was not mentioned) or a 3.2 Club Sport, or some other uber rare model may have out performed the market. The run of the mill SC, Carrera or e30 M3 may have doubled in value but didn't keep up with the market. If you bought a smaller basket of widely held stocks, like AAPL, MSFT, AMZN and GOOG instead of the S&P you could be buying one of each for the same investment return of any single of the three.

The quote stands up very well, even in this down market. Cars in general are a poor investment.

The S&P500 was about 1500 in Oct 2007
AMZN was about 4.5 bucks (split adjusted)
MSFT was about 30 bucks (split adjusted)
AAPL was about 6 bucks (split adjusted)
GOOGL Class A was about 16 bucks (split adjusted)

Look em up, and see how that basket of the most widely held stocks have done compared to any of the cars mentioned.

Guess I pissed you off somewhere so much that you joined just to make that comment LOL Hysterical that you dug up a 15 year old thread to take a cheap shot and as it turns out the point you tried to make is is not just wrong, its wrong by a huge margin ! Now that's funny.

Priceless, you made my night. Thanks for the laugh!

How can you even justify this with driver quality E30 M3's going for over $100k. "Run of the mills" 911 3.2s with over 150k miles going for $80k. It doesn't hold up and for all intents and purposes would have outperformed traditional investment vehicles. Your half calculations and hearsay isn't going to cut it.

Dude, I don't know you and don't want to. People like you love popping up all over the internet giving garbage advice like its gospel then disappearing into the nether only to come back and argue because you think its what you're good at.

Get a life.

Last edited by Combat911; 08-31-2022 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Added quote.
Old 08-31-2022, 05:26 PM
Combat911
4th Gear

Originally Posted by josephvman
It might be heresy, but I owned an E30 M3 "back in the day", and ended up replacing it with a Daytona Violet '95 E36 M3. Back then I thought the E36 was a better car in absolutely every way, if not necessary as special. Today I'd love to have either of them back (or better yet both!) but they led into a string of Carrera 3.2's and 930's and my love for 911's. I think a euro or Canadian market E36 M3 is the hot ticket and even with today's pricing a better value than an E30 M3. I admit I still have to fight the itch to bid on E30 M3's when I see a nice one on BaT, and have been in the running on a couple up to the end when the numbers got crazy. Now I'm eyeing E28 M5's, which haven't gone stratospheric just yet but likely will.

How about RS America v. E30 M3? Great examples seem to be comparable money, but I have to think E30 M3's may have peaked, and really nice RSA's might keep going.
I'm honestly surprised E39 M5s aren't through the roof yet but then again a car is only worth what people are willing to pay for it.
Old 08-31-2022, 06:12 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

from what is going around the interweb now... similar age and condition cars, the E30 is the better drivers car than an SC or Carrera... I guess the e30 M3 is more like the 2.7 RS 911 but in the BMW world (its all about the feel of the car). The e30 has more of the collectable factor than a run of the mill 80's 911 just because of production numbers.
Old 09-01-2022, 11:22 AM
Houpty GT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Trader220. It's nice that they have gone up, but they were not great investments. You spent $15,000 on the car, $10,000 on parts, $10,000 on insurance, and you could have rented out the garage space for $18,000. You were underwater with the investment for the first 10 years but not as much as if you had bought a new car and ate the depreciation. So, if you used the car as transportation, it softened the blow of the expense for your hobby/toy. In the end, the guy that wasn't worried about how he looked and drove a 15-year-old econobox is the one laughing all the way to the bank with his triple helping of mutual funds.

Combat911, don't be so hostile. Your butthole smells as you think his does.
Old 09-01-2022, 08:41 PM
Combat911
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Houpty GT
I agree with Trader220. It's nice that they have gone up, but they were not great investments. You spent $15,000 on the car, $10,000 on parts, $10,000 on insurance, and you could have rented out the garage space for $18,000. You were underwater with the investment for the first 10 years but not as much as if you had bought a new car and ate the depreciation. So, if you used the car as transportation, it softened the blow of the expense for your hobby/toy. In the end, the guy that wasn't worried about how he looked and drove a 15-year-old econobox is the one laughing all the way to the bank with his triple helping of mutual funds.

Combat911, don't be so hostile. Your butthole smells as you think his does.
Who TF was talking to you? Don't think this is the venue to be talking about peoples B*ttholes pal. Your argument makes about as much sense as saying houses aren't great investments because you have to pay for utilities and roof repair after 30 years. I made money on both of mine I'm sticking to my guns.
The following users liked this post:
Qtrfoil (09-27-2022)

Quick Reply: Collectibility of 3.0 SC or 3.2 Carrera vs E30 M3?