911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Are Excellence price guides WAY off???

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007 | 11:18 AM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

I've owned six Porsches and I have never found the marketplace thing to be much of a help; all in all if Excellence dropped the feature I would not miss it. I use ebay and autobaron.com to get a ballpark, but I go for low mileage cars, which generally get (and are worth) a premium price.

Steve
84 Carrera (39k miles)

PS: I was surprised to see six Porsche Carrera GTs on ebay last night, most going for under MSRP. A friend of mine bought one as an "investment".
Old 10-17-2007 | 11:27 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

I know what you mean about the market place thing in excellence , it is pretty much just a filler , as you see even the text is a copy of the previous marketplace for the same model. I don't even read it anymore and is a waste of space .
Old 10-17-2007 | 12:40 PM
bpu699

Some further comments...

Just searched cars.com. Found >100 porsche 911's for less than $12000 ASKING price, nationwide. Many were 911sc's. According to Excellence even the crappiest car is worth $15,000.

Many of the sc's were less than $10,000.

I know, they probably aren't perfect, probably high mileage, etc. I am sure some of them are nice. BUT, according to Excellence the BOTTOM price for a POOR car is $15,000.

They are way off...
Old 10-17-2007 | 01:35 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

I think they should stop printing that section since they do not have the resources to do thorough research. Not that I am blaming them but better to not do it than do it badly and give incorrect information.
Old 10-17-2007 | 01:40 PM
jester911
Drifting

If you go to the for sale section on the national PCA mart you will see the same prices though. Most people want to think that their car is worth more than most.
Old 10-17-2007 | 02:08 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Yes I agree. PCA cars are always listed higher. This is because f you are part of a club for your car it stands to reason you have some sort of emotional atachment to your car and there fore feel it is worth more. HAving said that such cars tend to be cared for better too, possibly justifying the higher price. This should however be considered a biased view and not a random sample of the Porsche population at large.
In the last few years, especialy with the advent of the Boxster , Porsche has moved into the everyday leasing world and the Porsche name has become more of a comodity than a specialized automobile. in on my opinion of course . Why do you think there are so many silver Porsches ? beause that is a lease colour , easier to move.
Old 10-17-2007 | 02:20 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

...but they look sooooo good in silver...
Old 10-17-2007 | 03:17 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Would anybody here let their SC go for less then $10,000?

John
Old 10-17-2007 | 03:30 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

...see Rennlist classified ad #7131...
Old 10-17-2007 | 05:18 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Man you guys just have way too much time on your hands ..... as write my 4,000 something post ..oops ...
Old 10-17-2007 | 11:19 PM
pl
Drifting

so is it fair to expect pay 10K for a sorted #3~#4 SC as a daily-driver?
i can wait until Jan. when the market is slow.

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
I think that you have to really consider the venue, and quoted condition for each price level. I much prefer "carsthatmatter.com" for pricing info, as well as Sports Car Market magazine (the experts that track auction and verifiable private party sales). Cars that matter currently list '78 SC coupes as between $6,850 (cond. 4 - fair driver w/flaws) and $29,400 (cond. 1 - concour car). '83 coupes range from $8,000 to $34,200. #3 cars (good condition with no flaws visible to a casual passer by), and #2 cars (excellent) comprise a group that rarely finds its way to the corner car lot, rather, they are sold through venues where collectors and buyers who want the real deal hang out. In the case of an '83 coupe (Targas & Cabs are higher), a #3 would be $14,600, and a #2 would be $22,200. That said, always be aware that price guides are only a starting point, and that there are many conditions that can quickly change a price up or down.
Regarding a '72 911, is it a coupe or Targa? Is it original or restored? Is it in daily driver or show condition? Condition, condition, condition. If the car needs a re-paint ($6-8K), interior ($2-4K), and engine overhaul ($12K) it doesn't take long to move the car from the $25K range to the $10K range.
The 914 prices that you quote seem a little high, but I don't read Excellence, so I don't know the whole story behind their prices. I can offer that the 914 is experiencing a bit of a surge, but only the very best cars, in the very best colors, and built in the very best years ('73/74), will bring the big money. Again, condition, condition, condition.
Old 10-18-2007 | 09:54 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

The reader reports seem to be accurate; he did post two cars that I bought and sold and printed it exactly as I wrote it.

His spreadsheet seems to reflect a personal bias, if it doesn't have the engine in the rear he shows a depressed price, if it does the price seems highish.
Old 10-18-2007 | 10:30 AM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Panarama is a good source to get prices. PCA members are usually going to have cars that are well maintained. SC prices are 15+ always for a decent car.
Old 10-18-2007 | 06:13 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

pl: Maybe sorted, maybe not sorted! Maybe maintained, maybe all used up. It's been said many times in this forum that every 911 is a $20K 911. Remember, that #3 car has "no flaws visible to a casual passer by." That means that the synchro in first gear might be so bad that you have to stop rolling before it can be engaged. The car might have horrible, undiagnosed CIS problems. It may still have the original brake hoses, the calipers might have never been resealed, and the wheel bearing grease might have dried up eight years ago. The tires might be fifteen years old (unsafe) and the shocks might be original with 140K miles (unsafe) on them. Rarely will the timing chain tensioners have been updated on $8-12K cars. And the list goes on, and on, and on... That's why venue is important, as flatsixnut writes, check PCA listings in Panorama. Those prices are generally for maintained cars, while the corner car lot, eBay and other places end up with cars that might be poorly kept with many issues that need repair. Is it possible to buy a "great" #3 SC for $10K or less? Sure, but it's also possible to win the state lottery, although the odds are about 18,000,000:1 (in CA). Almost always, if you pay $10K for an SC, you'll be spending a lot of money to, first, make it safe, and second, to make it reliable. I remember sitting in the shop one morning, talking with my guys, when a sudden thought occurred to me. "Oh my, the newest 356 is about 25 years old (this was about 1990), pretty soon we won't be fixing them anymore, we'll be restoring them." Guess what, the newest SC is now about 25 years old, and you will either buy one, on the cheap, that needs a lot of little, and maybe big, things, or you'll pay more to put a really nice car in your garage.
Old 10-18-2007 | 06:32 PM
pl
Drifting

pete,
thx for the comments. i would most def. buy a sorted, well-main. SC. so i bumper up the # to $15K for a SC.
just ordered your book from amazon, it will come on monday. can't wait.

Quick Reply: Are Excellence price guides WAY off???