Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

ITB for 3.2 911s... Am I dreaming ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 09:23 AM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ITB for 3.2 911s... Am I dreaming ???

Hello everyone on this forum. I have been looking at an opportunity to buy a local (to me) Euro-Spec '88 3.2 G50 coupe and am beginning to anticipate potential performance mods. The one thing that I can't seem to find anywhere on Rennlist is anyone who has converted their car to individual throttle bodied fuel injection. Is this do-able for a street application? I have to believe that increased power and response would come from this, no?

And, yes, many other things would be considered; cams, head work, potentially more displacement, internal lightening and strengthening, etc, etc. Essentially, I am looking for an 8300 - 8500 RPM EFI motor project for a street (and occassional track use) 911 with no turbos.

It has to rev high and make intoxicating sounds while doing so

Any thoughts or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old 10-12-2007, 11:14 AM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is a lot of info on pelican, enough to read for days.

but yes it's been done
Old 10-16-2007, 12:34 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Alon
And, yes, many other things would be considered; cams, head work, potentially more displacement, internal lightening and strengthening, etc, etc. Essentially, I am looking for an 8300 - 8500 RPM EFI motor project for a street (and occassional track use) 911 with no turbos.
What you are describing would be a wonderful engine, but you do realize it would end up costing more than the car itself, no? I would say you are looking at a $25-30K investment in such a motor, and only a club racer or the most fanatic Porschephile would see this expense as justifiable. It would be impossible to recover such an investment on resale, but if money is no object....

The key issue with making such an engine both reliable and streetable would be choosing the right engine builder, one with a proven track record in EFI installation and tuning. The skills and equipment needed to achieve your stated goals are "non-trivial", as they say in geekspeak, and are not in the realm of the DIY-er. Without a flow bench and a dyno, and the ability to test and modify fuel and ignition maps and burn them to an EPROM chip, you will not get the results you seek. The investment in such equipment runs in the hundreds of thousands of dollars, and the knowledge and experience necessary to make it all work together is priceless.

I have seriously considered exactly such a project for the 3.4 in my '73 911, and if I were going to proceed, I would call Steve at Rennsport Systems and ask him what it would take and how long he would need to do it. The answers might be fairly sobering. For me, the decision to make do with 260HP instead of a possible 320+ was fairly easy--that last 1000 RPM and 60 HP of output is very expensive to achieve. My motor still makes pretty glorious sounds with PMO carbs and a 7400RPM rev limit, and cost half as much as a full-boat 3.4 EFI engine. YMMV....

Good luck,
TT

Last edited by Tom Tweed; 10-16-2007 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:44 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Alon:

"Brother" Tom offers some sterling advice here,....

The very first questions I ask my clients when they inquire about such things are:

1) What is your budget?

2) What are your objectives?

The answers to those questions will delineate how you proceed,...

P.S. We've done a LOT of ITB, EFI-equipped engines so thats not a challenge but none of this is cheap to do unless you cut a lot of corners.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:48 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is often cheaper to buy someone else's former infatuation and do the little things.

Keep us posted if you do this project. It sounds like a swell idea.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:05 PM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alon
individual throttle bodied fuel injection
Is this what you had in mind?

there are a number of places that make individual throttle body set ups including place in sydney called "injection perfection"

check out this guys set up on pelican:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...ferrerid=42314

very sexy but rather expen$ive

Quick Reply: ITB for 3.2 911s... Am I dreaming ???