Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Throttle response-SC vs. Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 08:47 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Chris, I agree with you on the abuse of the clutch. I found out the wrong way to let out the clutch when I had all four seat belts full and tried to "launch" at a green light. I could smell something burning and you can bet I'll never do that again. Second on the other hand, let out the clutch over 3,000 and turning and she wants to come around. It's MR. TOADS WILD RIDE and hang on. P.S. did you see me cab picture on the cab shtread?. I'm gonna take it down before I go home...
Old 10-08-2007, 09:00 PM
DARISC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LaughaC
My apologies if I implied clutch dropping is involved in setting the tires alight.
I had to quit using 95 octane in my SC; I had to ease out the clutch at idle to prevent severe burn-out (I got hollered at by the neighbors several times before I mastered that tricky technique) and the tires would ALWAYS smoke going into 2nd, 3rd and 4th (and on rare occasions, 5th - if temp. & humidity was close enough to the dew point).

It was just uncontrollable, no matter how ligntfooted I was. I wore my rears out in 237 5/8 miles - without ONCE dropping the clutch! Applying power at the apex? That woulda' been insane! I'm talkin' straight line acceleration!
Old 10-08-2007, 09:13 PM
DARISC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by douglas bray
...tried to "launch" at a green light....
Douglas, Douglas, Douglas........I KNOW that you KNOW that "launch" (as on a dragstrip - which is generally what the word implies) is a word best not applied to 911 operation!!!
Old 10-08-2007, 09:15 PM
genripper
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DARISC +1 on the ROW SC's. My 81 Targa with SSI's and a 2 into 1 Dansk sport exhaust feels much more lively that the 86 Carrera Targa I had for a time. Crisp throttle response and pulls like crazy all the way up. No a/c helps too.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:30 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Lol!! It's a good thing your tires were spinning to avert the otherwise inevitable wheelies!

Originally Posted by DARISC
I had to quit using 95 octane in my SC; I had to ease out the clutch at idle to prevent severe burn-out (I got hollered at by the neighbors several times before I mastered that tricky technique) and the tires would ALWAYS smoke going into 2nd, 3rd and 4th (and on rare occasions, 5th - if temp. & humidity was close enough to the dew point).

It was just uncontrollable, no matter how ligntfooted I was. I wore my rears out in 237 5/8 miles - without ONCE dropping the clutch! Applying power at the apex? That woulda' been insane! I'm talkin' straight line acceleration!
Old 10-09-2007, 02:38 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What's that smell? O.K. "I tried to get up to speed a little too quickly in my 911"
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Throttle response-SC vs. Carrera