Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Potential SC Targa Purchase - What would you Pay?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 08:41 PM
Darryl92Cab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential SC Targa Purchase - What would you Pay?

Hello All,

First post in the 911 forums...I hang out in the water cooled section as I own a 944 coupe and 968 convertible. I've been a fan of SC Targas since, well, forever. I am always on the lookout for a well maintained, garaged, one owner, blah, blah, blah...you all know the drill. I could plunk down 20K and get something like that, but somehow I don't think it would be as much fun as getting something that needs at least a little work.

I found one that's local and peaks my interest although it's not in very good shape. A real shame that people let these cars deteriorate to such extents. It is 1980, Silver with Dark Blue interior, milesage unknown due to broken odometer, but we're guessing around 100K. Odometer shows 59K and was titled that way 7 years ago when purchased by current owner. We think it is a two owner car - I would be the third. I do most of my own work or at least try to and have an excellent mechanic/friend who knows these cars very well for when I get in over my head.

I had the car last weekend and my mechanic and I were able to get it up in the air for a fairly thorough PPI type inspection. It runs pretty good, but I think it could be better, drives well, clutch is in great shape, brakes are good, just passed VA inspection and can get you from point A to point B. Here's the bad: it's leaking oil pretty bad and seems to be coming from high up so our guess is valve cover gaskets, but it's also all over most of the underside, so we're also thinking mutliple fittings and/or oil lines. I've assembled a list of mechnical, exterior, and interior groupings and would like some opinions on what you'd pay for something like this. I know it's going to tak alot of work, some things more than others, and I also know that some of the things do not have to be done right away. The first two issues for me would be belts, (since one has a chunk missing) and at least calming the oil leaks down to a manageable amount. Then, I can address other issues as time permits. It would eventually need painted, and I've budgeted for that, but it's in decent enough shape currently to give it a good paint cleaning, polish, seal etc. which I have the tools and skills to do myself.

Looking forward to hearing some of your thoughts, especially from those of you who have done restorations or who have purchased similar cars in this condition. I have pics in case anyone is interested. The "list" is attached. Thanks in advance!

- Darryl
Attached Files
File Type: txt
1980 Targa Issues.txt (1.0 KB, 50 views)
Old 10-03-2007, 09:29 PM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome to 911 land!

little work can equal big bucks although it sounds like you can handle most jobs yourself so you'll save yourself a ton of cash. could be a fund project but beware "little things" add up quickly eg a new exhaust incl. heat ex. is around $1500 in itself
Old 10-03-2007, 10:16 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

There are actually great project cars. I have done all the work on my own 78sc and it has been a blast . Your oil leaks are part of 911 ownership and I would no let it discourage you , it could be the oil pressure switch, thermostat o rings, breather cover. I would suspect one of these if the leak is coming from high up . They will require an engine drop but even that is realatively easy . i think it would be a good P car if you can get it at a good price.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:56 AM
Darryl92Cab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick responses so far...but give me some ideas of prices. The owner was asking 10K but that's insane based on the condition and I think they realize it now. They were thinking because it is all original and compeltely stock, it would command a higher price. They want me to make an offer...I want to be fair but obviously see if I can get the car for a great deal based on my willingness to do the work on it! Keep 'em coming, guys and gals...

- Darryl

Quick Reply: Potential SC Targa Purchase - What would you Pay?