1St Post: to Buy or Not to Buy??? '83 SC

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 01:41 AM
KoenigsTiger
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 1St Post: to Buy or Not to Buy??? '83 SC

Hello Guys!!!

This is my first post, anyway. After doing a bit of searching and a little bit of researching. I've come to a decision that I want a 911SC. I haven't read any books on 911, just some stuff online. I've seen prices any where from this one (12,800) to 25,000+. Ok its '83 911SC Targa. The owner bought it form a dealer 2 years ago. He didn't do much for maintenance except change the oil twice(I he said he drove it for couple of k). What the 911 valve adjustment interval anyway? The owner before him was a member at PCA (I didnt see all the records yet). He says that the car was imported into US from Europe, then to Canada. Iam in Canada by the way. The VIN is Euro, on the drivers door VIN tag it says "Imported by: RUDI WOLF". What does the whole imported by means??? When cars came from Europe they put persons name on the tag??? This is where I am very curios: If the car came from Europe it would have a km/h speedo unless it was from UK??? would it be RHD then??? If it was a km/h speedo it would be replaced with a MPH speedo when entering the States? (where the odometer reading would be no longer true). This 911 is LHD and has 80k MPH speedo. Not like odometer raading is a very good sign of engine condition anyway. There are no real maint records, thats the scary part. I'll try to track down the PCA member, when I get his name... The SC is priced low for a reason, some of the items dont work: Power mirrors, A/C, Rear windshield wiper, 3rd inside break light, high beams, hood and trunk don't stay up. The Targa top is torn at the rear, does not seal, seals are old. Some oil soiling on the bottom of the engine. Cooling fan has a couple of chips. It was repainted too, original color, some paint on rubber seals... The rubber strip on the back of front bumper is wavy ( is that metal piece that the rubber attaches to hard to replace?). One of the good things is, its seems to have Carrera Tensioner upgrade, the engine seems to be ok (I should get it leak down tested it). I didnt find any rust besides the wavy rubber( the rusty steel strip is splitting when I lifted the rubber) The re paint has some bubbles in one spot.(I wonder when I was resprayed...) I dont really care about A/C and all the little things, and I wont drive when its raining, but I cant predict weather 100% and the top wont keep 100% out. What do you guys think, should I forget about this one and spend a bit more on a decent example with full history???

Thank you very much for all the advice!!!
Old 10-03-2007, 02:01 AM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KoenigsTiger
What do you guys think, should I forget about this one and spend a bit more on a decent example with full history???
hello and welcome

frankly, i'd keep looking. i'd want at least 10 years history (mine had all 30)

these cars can be expensive to repair and maintain...you've listed a few "small" issues that need addressing but these add up quickly! The few $ you save now may end up biting you in the *** and costing $$$ a in a few months time.

dont rush - i looked for over a year for my car

good luck!
Old 10-03-2007, 02:13 AM
DARISC
Racer

SC = Super Car, Special Car, Serious Car, Super Carrera......Super Choice of a Porsche!

"frankly, i'd keep looking. i'd want at least 10 years history (mine had all 30)"

I heartily agree - my 82 RoW is documented from it's 1983 gray market admission to this country to present.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:44 AM
sus911
Track Day

keep looking.......
People who care about these cars know how important their life history/documentation is.
Sounds like it's "been around"
Old 10-03-2007, 08:29 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello, and welcome! First of all, I don't think that sounds like a car I'd want... Don't be in a hurry, purchase Pete Z's book and continue to search. I'll offer a differing opinion on documentation. Of course, having all the records is nice, but imo, cars this old must be evaluated "as is" and the lack of doc would not deter me from buying a well kept example. In my case, I purchased a 43K mile garage queen (with enough doc to verify it's history over all 3 owners), but except for the previous owner, the early maintenance history ('88-95 or so) was sketchy or missing. No regrets whatsoever...

Keith
'88 CE coupe

ps: Buy from an "enthusiast"...in my case, I've maintained my own car for the past 5 years, and the only "records" are my spreadsheet...the car stands on it's own merit
Old 10-03-2007, 08:33 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Follow the advice of the others that have posted on this thread.

Also do not get emotional attached to any particular car just because it priced "cheap".

The car you are looking at does not seem like a good speciman to start off with, there are plenty out there.

Good luck

John
Old 10-03-2007, 08:46 AM
Katalog
Advanced

Tiger!

Listen to what you're saying: "The SC is priced low for a reason, some of the items dont work: Power mirrors, A/C, Rear windshield wiper, 3rd inside break light, high beams, hood and trunk don't stay up. The Targa top is torn at the rear, does not seal, seals are old."

Good ones cost good money. The guys who love them look after them. Find one of those guys and his car, and even then have a PPI carried out.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:13 AM
KoenigsTiger
8th Gear

Talking

You're absolutely right guys!!! I knew that this one is not a good specimen. I'll read a few books on buying before I buy. And there this no rush. I prefer a coupe anyway. There was a Euro 82 SC coupe with only 77k KM for $17,800. I'll buy some books!!!

Thank you very much guys!!!
Old 10-03-2007, 10:16 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by KoenigsTiger
You're absolutely right guys!!! I knew that this one is not a good specimen. I'll read a few books on buying before I buy. And there this no rush. I prefer a coupe anyway. There was a Euro 82 SC coupe with only 77k KM for $17,800. I'll buy some books!!!

Thank you very much guys!!!
I don't know where in Canada you are but the best advice I can give is to look south to the States to purchase your car.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:12 PM
WitchDoctor
Racer

I'm with the others. You are well advised to be paranoid. Some of these cars have engines that are described as "bullet proof", and that may be, but they are not immune to hateful and neglectful nurturing of neglectful homes. I look on the problems you cite not as a list, hopefully an exhaustive list of what's wrong. Rather, I think of it as a sign of how the car has been nurtured. You don't send your beloved children to church dirty, missing a shoe or two, in torn clothes, with bits and pieces hanging off here and there. If you do...those few visible signs are the least of it. Is this any way to present a car?

I say it's a bad showing that reflects badly on the car and badly on the owner(s). You can, as everyone else says, afford to be selective.

And, as Old Neri suggests, you can't afford to forego cross border shopping. The dollars have equalized, but the prices haven't. Selection is wider, and the weather is better in many regions.

I gave up looking for a 944 in Calgary, because for $15k, all that was available were cars that had problems. I learned here that probably no 944 is worth that price, so turned to 911.

Look South. Be a Porsche biggot -- exercise maximum discrimination.

I talked to the guy who appraised my car yesterday. Tells me he just appraised a 911 turbo. Don't know the year. He said the guy paid $20k more than it was worth!!! I think that probably shouldn't happen to someone who is informed and careful.

End of rant.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:25 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I would say the targa top would kill the deal if you want a coupe....

I know It's after the fact, but the spedo thing.....just pop it out and check the date on the back. start with the clock 'cause it's easy, then pop out the tach, then the spedo. the date of production is on the back. then move to the fuse panel and look for a date on the wires. It is writen by hand on the harness several places around the car, but also leading to the fuse panel. If the date on the spedo and the date on the harness are the same it's a good chance that the spedo is original. If it don't match.....RUN!
Old 10-03-2007, 01:54 PM
dsmith
Racer

My recent thoughts on the 911 sc, and 915 trans Carreras, top of my head:

915 clutch parts becoming NLA (omega spring, kind of important)

CIS parts NLA

Engine compartment fuel lines NLA

Me thinks to own these cars over the next 10 yrs, one has to be thinking along the lines of restoration, part fab, remaining part scrounging, etc, rather than maintain and repair.

I would have to suggest stepping up to a G50 Carrera for the more casual or new Porsche owners.
David
Old 10-03-2007, 02:00 PM
ste993
Pro

SC's are fantastic cars and, as mentioned in many posts above, there are plenty of great examples out there if you take your time and look around.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!
Old 10-03-2007, 03:07 PM
JScott
Track Day

I have a dark blue '87 3.2 coupe (sunroof delete) with 145K and I have full service history. I may be selling it soon, but I won't be giving it away at a stupid price.

I'm located in Canada too btw. If you're still looking when I do sell, I'll pm you.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:27 PM
KoenigsTiger
8th Gear

Talking

Iam in Alberta, Calgary/Edmonton. Yeah, getting a car from the US is a good idea. But I would want to see the car my self, and all the hassle and extra cost of importing. There is no dollar advantage anymore. Thank you very much for all the great info guys!!!

Thank you very much

P.S. WitchDoctor wich 911 did you get???

P.P.S. JScott whats you location? Whats the ballpark figure $$$???

Quick Reply: 1St Post: to Buy or Not to Buy??? '83 SC