Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance/Handling Differences--

between a 911 Carrera(1986) WB vs. NB??

Thanks-Roger B.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:33 PM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the WB is actually a tad slower but 0-60 and top end due to extra weight and wind resistance

it should handle better (more rubber) and stop better if its got the turbo brakes
Old 10-03-2007, 08:42 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JV911
... and stop better if its got the turbo brakes
I love my 930 brakes, but they don't necessarily stop a Carrera any faster than the stock brakes do. The larger rotors do provide better heat dissipation (avoiding brake fade over time) and I do like the "pedal feel" of the larger master cylinder and calipers, etc.

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 10-03-2007, 02:08 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

If you randomly grabbed a regular Carrera and a Turbo-look and put both on a track, it's likely that other mods the owners have done would make a bigger difference in how they performed. A widened track and bigger brakes are both pretty minor changes, in the bigger picture.

But the brakes on the Turbo-look will resist fade better. And the wider track will make a slight difference in cornering performance. The nice thing about the widebody is that with a little work you can run much wider wheels and tires, which will make a difference in lap times. Steering the TL will require more effort, and it will be a little less well-behaved under hard braking on uneven surfaces. (But again, those differences aren't dramatic.)

On the street, the big differences are the look of the two cars -- which is subjective. Also notable is the way the value of the factory Turbo looks have held on. They've essentially become collectibles.

For a dramatic change, find a Turbo-look with a Turbo motor in it. Porsche called it the 930.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:16 PM
spence88mph
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've driven both stock cars, I couldn't tell the difference in acceleration but I did feel the WB sat flatter around corners but was a little 'duller' on turn in, didn't seem as flickable. The brakes were a huge improvement though. For me it came down to condition of the car and I personally liked the look and rareness of the WB. I think either car will put a smile on your face.

Quick Reply: Performance/Handling Differences--